Crinium plant…to death do us part?

Hi y’all!  So my crinium plant started to lose leaves slowly (browning at the base coming from the bulb), then appeared to get better sprouting new leaves, but then suddenly it lost the remaining leaf AND new sprouts.  So I’m left with the bulb planted, and I’m wondering how do I know it’s completely dead, should I leave the bulb planted?  I know it’s a slow growing plant, so how long should I wait and monitor before taking that bulb out?  

B5372FD2-DB29-448F-B976-6D9E1C74BA4B.jpeg

4A90B63F-EF50-4E6B-93DF-3B51DA2BFD06.jpeg

Edited by AquaDude

If the bulb gets squishy and funky smelling, then it's probably gone. If it's hard and not funky smelling, i would just leave it in the tank and possibly use some root tabs to help with growth. Also, what substrate are you using. Gravel substrate usually isn't the best to use for crinums. I've had the best luck with a sand substrate with crinum's

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2021 at 5:31 AM, AquaDude said:

Yes, it’s gravel.  😞  I’ve been thinking of switching substrate, but maybe a little late for the established tank?

I have what I was told was a crinum.

I'll take a picture tomorrow, to make sure I have a correct identification. I "planted" it by resting it on the gravel, with 3 root tabs under the gravel and a piece of cholla resting against part of the crinum so the snails couldn't redecorate. It had 3 leaves when I planted it 2 months ago. 

It's quite healthy now, and has sent roots into the gravel.