Disinfecting Nets

Alec

I generally just have a net per tank and let them air dry and do not worry about it. I have used rinse in the hottest water I have and let air dry.

I have experimented with the med trio in a higher concentration as a solution in a specimen container since they are around and eventually expire. QT for nets sorta. Let them soak for a while air dry rinse hotest water and air dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have VERY hot water out of the tap (never do this if you have children or anyone with nerve damage or decreased decision making ability).  It’s so hot it partially melted one of the little cups they use for tissue culture plants in only a minute or so.  I use it at full hot to disinfect my stuff.  But I also just bought some Command hooks to hang nets by tanks so at least I’m less likely to spread something between tanks.  I don’t use nets that often so they have plenty of drying time between uses.

• Thanks 1

I have dedicated nets for sets of tanks.

Tanks that "share water" or have fish moved back and forth between them a lot, share nets. Tanks that don't swap fluids don't share nets.

I have a bottle to spray nets down with isopropyl alcohol if there is a need to disinfect. Then I let the net dry overnight, and rinse well under the filtered tap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2021 at 3:13 AM, Odd Duck said:

I have VERY hot water out of the tap (never do this if you have children or anyone with nerve damage or decreased decision making ability).  It’s so hot it partially melted one of the little cups they use for tissue culture plants in only a minute or so.  I use it at full hot to disinfect my stuff.  But I also just bought some Command hooks to hang nets by tanks so at least I’m less likely to spread something between tanks.  I don’t use nets that often so they have plenty of drying time between uses.

I do this as well, I have my water heater set higher because I like hot showers. I have a bucket, an old ice cream bucket actually, and I put the nets in and then just run some straight hot water over them. If I do happen to notice any disease in a tank, or I use a net to pull a dead fish out of a tank, I will squirt some hydrogen peroxide over the net first and let sit for a few minutes before the hot water bath. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1