Foraging advice

Flumpweesel

On 10/21/2021 at 6:08 AM, Flumpweesel said:

How do you recognise the wood types  I was taught to use the leaf shape (needles softwood, flat leaves hardwood)  but that isn't going to help with driftwood.  

For wood in tanks, the most important thing is no sap.

Either no sap because it's a dried out hardwood, or no sap because it was pine that has completely drained the sap due to multiple seasons of rain, sun, and wind stripping the sap from the wood.

Saltwater does the same thing. 

After you soak a piece of wood, if you can identify the type of wood by the smell, there's still sap present. Don't put it in a tank, put it outside to weather some more.

If you are a member of the Co-op YouTube channel, @Zenzo went harvesting with Dr Tom Barr. There's a wealth of information in the video, and should answer the majority of foraging questions. 

[Yes, I have pine in one of my tanks. It was so old and dried out, I couldn't identify it for sure until it had been in the tank for a while. Dry, it was super light, but hard. My thumbnail couldn't dent it. A year later, I can use my thumbnail to take off nerite eggs yesterday.]

• Thanks 1

Always make sure to ask permission if you are on private land. I personally like melaleuca wood. It's hard, gnarled and not native. So you don't have to deal with all the rigamaroll that comes with legally collecting manzanita wood. If you ask tree trimming companies about melaleucas (and if you offer to pay the guys a little) you can get your hands on some amazing wood. Also, there are conifers (soft woods) that are okay to use in aquariums. If they have a strong scent, then they aren't something you want in your tank. Generally speaking....

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2021 at 2:44 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

Another note is for rocks you collect, some can change your parameters and some don’t. I think there is some type of test people do with vinegar but I’m not sure what it is. I had a cool green rock in my tank once until I realized it was malachite (copper ore) and it was not safe for my inverts.

Super cool rock to have though malachite is beautiful.  

I think vinegar fizzes on chalk ( so calcium ).   I love that all this is an excuse to hang out at the beach 

If you have plecos they actually really enjoy having softer woods to chew on! But they will release a bit of tannic acid and make your water tea colored.

Oceanic driftwood is better looking than river or lake driftwood in people's opinion just due to the sheer mechanical degradation can lead to some interesting pieces. Around here people who have private beaches can sell driftwood "sculptures" for thousands of dollars

I'd say depending on local laws, bring a battery operated skillsaw often times larger pieces have some interesting designs to be cut out of. 

Also an interesting tidbit I learned. I have found several potted trees illegaly dumped in parks. Technically speaking it is not driftwood, but trash. You are doing a service by removing waste products from said parks. These trees are more often than not dead and extremely rootbound which can lead to a fun look and fish LOVE swimming through the cage of roots. 

• Like 3

I think for safety and to minimise risk factors I will focus on beach and salt marsh as hunting grounds.

Happily I live near both and the beaches are public (well probably the Queens but she doesn't fuss about beachcombing). The salt marsh is a little more complicated but they need wood removing as it damages the flood defences. As long as I'm sticking to the footpath and not driving on its ok.