Linear Piston Air Pump minimum number of tanks

Razberry910

This last summer I setup IBC totes up outside. I used the little green usb air pumps to power large sponge filters in each tote. Towards the end of the summer I noticed the little air pumps couldn't hack pushing air down anymore. Next summer I want to add a few more totes to the collection. I could fairly easily plumb in some pvc and use the linear piston air pump (which is currently sold out) to power all of the sponge filters. I know the air pump can handle alot of drops/tanks I was wondering it I was only pumping to 4-5 sponge filters would that cause strain on the pump or the airlines? I could build in a relief valve and crack it open if needed. Thoughts?

Thanks

On 10/20/2021 at 7:53 PM, Scapexghost said:

My issue would be monetary, if you only need to power 4-5 sponge filters, you could get away with few Aquatop Air Pumps which will cost far less than the linear piston pump. 

I like the idea of the longevity of the piston pump. plus this pump would be subject to some elements.  similar pumps for ponds are rated for outdoor use I'm not sure if the one from coop is.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I bought a lot of IBC totes today... So next spring I'm going to have 10-12 "ponds" going. linear piston pump it is I buy from coop when I can but they are out of stock. the Medo LA-45B Septic Air Pump is available elsewhere and I think I'll pull the trigger get my tubing and valves from coop.   My air loop will be outside about 15x15 feet any recommendations 3/4 pvc vs 1inch?

• Administrators
On 10/30/2021 at 4:15 PM, Razberry910 said:

Well I bought a lot of IBC totes today... So next spring I'm going to have 10-12 "ponds" going. linear piston pump it is I buy from coop when I can but they are out of stock. the Medo LA-45B Septic Air Pump is available elsewhere and I think I'll pull the trigger get my tubing and valves from coop.   My air loop will be outside about 15x15 feet any recommendations 3/4 pvc vs 1inch?

Being that we have to buy from a distributor in the USA for the air pumps. They are sitting out on the water in California's ports. We've been waiting for a crazy long time at this point. Distributor keeps pushing out the timeline for when we'll get em.

On 10/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, Cory said:

Being that we have to buy from a distributor in the USA for the air pumps. They are sitting out on the water in California's ports. We've been waiting for a crazy long time at this point. Distributor keeps pushing out the timeline for when we'll get em.

Thanks Cory we appreciate everything you do. I've added everything to my cart and I'll wait a month or so for the air pump to come in. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/individual-metal-air-valves-5-pack?variant=31478436462661

How do these valves hold up outdoors? Do you use any plumbers tape to get a air tight fit? Also my air lines will hang off valve and drop about 8-9 to sponge filter. I suppose I might need to support the airline so the wind and weight doesn't pull it off the valve. How many summers do you think airline will last getting hit by the sun? 2-3 years?

Edited by Razberry910

I use all plastic valves from pentair. They thread into 1/8 npt. They are what's available to me from a local fish farm feed/supply store. I wanted the metal 1/8npt valves but they don't seem to be made anymore. The wholesaler said the farms like the plastic valves since they never corrode. But they are also the only valves they carry. Can't comment on the co op valves but if they put their name on it I'm sure they are decent. I think the co op valves don't require you to use a tap to install if that matters to you.

16357253631063645869130541447826.jpg

Edited by s1_

I would say from experience, go with 1" PVC over 3/4" The 1" gives you more room for drilling and tapping for the valves. The metal valves that the co-op sells don't need to have the holes pre-tapped. You can just drill the hole, and use a drill to thread the valves in. I am not sure how they would be outside exposed to the elements, but if I'm not mistaken, they are brass so they shouldn't rust. 

• 4 months later...

Bring back an old thread. I scored a pump for Coop last fall and now I'm getting ready to plumb my loop. I have an outdoor pavilion think roof with no sides probably 25'x25'. I put a dozen ICB totes around the roofline to collect rain water and when they overflow id does a water change. Anyway I'll plumb in a air loop (1 inch) and drop down airlines about 7-8ft to a sponge filter in each tote. Will the air pressure from the piston air pump be to great for 12 drops? should I do something like this guy did on youtube? 

Thanks everyone!

On 3/21/2022 at 8:45 AM, Razberry910 said:

Bring back an old thread. I scored a pump for Coop last fall and now I'm getting ready to plumb my loop. I have an outdoor pavilion think roof with no sides probably 25'x25'. I put a dozen ICB totes around the roofline to collect rain water and when they overflow id does a water change. Anyway I'll plumb in a air loop (1 inch) and drop down airlines about 7-8ft to a sponge filter in each tote. Will the air pressure from the piston air pump be to great for 12 drops? should I do something like this guy did on youtube? 

Thanks everyone!

Did I just miss the part where he says what part to get?  I need to know what part to get, not just that I need the part.  I know I should have the part (although I’m more worried about having enough air pressure for all of mine).  It’s just smart to build in a relief valve in case I need to go bigger on my linear.