Ram Questions

Stephen Zawacki

On 10/22/2021 at 3:49 AM, Fish Folk said:

You can breed Mikrogeophagus ramirezi successfully in a 10 gallon aquarium. However, to grant them a full and satisfying life, I would recommend a 20 gallon long. I suppose a species-only 16 gallon tank could work. I have found that mine appreciate regular water changes, quality foods,  planted tank, and warm temperatures - above 80-degrees Fahrenheit.

One of the more exciting projects we did was breed a bunch, and populate a 55 gallon Ram Colony. My son and I made this video a few years ago...

One of the most satisfying projects with Rams we did was cross Electric Blue Rams with Golden Rams, and work through a couple generations until we got some spectacular Orange / Blue color forms. Here was the first installment in that video series...

By the end, we had a "Gold Rush" growing out in a 20 gallon tall...

To appreciate these in a larger community context, you can check out this video where a few of the Gold Rams were added to a larger Discus + Threadfin Acara Tank...

Love the videos again man. When you pull the rocks with eggs on them why are you adding the half ml of h2o2 to the separation tank??

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, Griznatch said:

I'd go with 20 long. The bigger footprint is nice, gives them more room to explore, and gives you more room to add hardscape and plants.

I agree, a 20 gallon cube is a good size but still only around 16” of bottom space. Given a choice I’d go for a tank that has more length. 

Waterbox is 17x17x15, you’ll lose some of that with the internal filter.

The ADA cube garden that checks in at 23 g is 24"x18"x14.2". That is much more suitable for dwarf cichlids. 

It seems like you really care about the animals and their ability to thrive which I appreciate. Not to mention an ADA setup is like a dream so it’s fun to play with your money! 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:51 PM, Kyle murfitt said:

Love the videos again man. When you pull the rocks with eggs on them why are you adding the half ml of h2o2 to the separation tank??

It’s an anti-fungal, like methylene blue. Just a tad gentler, and keeps water clear so infertile vs. fertile eggs are easy to distinguish. It’s an old Angelfish breeder’s trick we’ve used for Rams. M-blue is excellent… just put in _one_ drop though. 

• Thanks 1

@Stephen Zawackithe footprint for the cube is too small. You need width and depth. I’d say 2 feet minimum width and foot and half for depth ideally. They don’t care about height as much as they are bottom to mid swimmers. This is why folks are voting for 20 long the extra 6” of width makes up for the lack of depth. Cichlids tend to prowl side to side. or if you want rimless the ADA is perfect due to the width and depth but that’s a good chunk of change. You could get away with a 20 g tall - I saw a UNS 60 u in rimless which was less than half the price of the ADA- I think it could work but if we’re talking perfect world that ADA is perfect. Landon tanks on Amazon has a decent reputation and cheaper for rimless as well. 

• Like 1