Good floating plants for a smaller aquarium?

Katya

red root floater works well. It is smaller than frogbit and water lettuce; and in my experience a bit slower at growing. My 2nd choice would be frogbit. It is smaller than water lettuce and i much prefer the leaf structure to water lettuce; also depending on the structure of your aquarium the roots can be quite entertaining esp if they reach near the bottom. here is a picture of my 5 gallon with a combination of water lettuce and frogbit:

5_26_apr_2021.jpg.9f071ac1aaee02959177fc99ab6e5177.jpg

I like red root floaters, but I had a hard time getting them to grow for me. I have opted for salvinia in my 5 gallon and 2 gallon tanks, which has small leaves and relatively short roots (1-2 inches). It gives a cleaner look to a small tank than something like water lettuce with long roots, but it's totally a matter of aesthetic preference. 

I had amazon frogbit and duckweed in my 5-gallon.  They both did so well, I had to scoop handfuls of floating plants out every week.  Now, the frogbit is my 10-gallon along with the duckweed (unfortunately).  I have a love/hate relationship with duckweed.