Betta flashing?

abbie

On 12/5/2021 at 11:12 PM, Colu said:

Y

Yes it does you can also add some garlic guard to the medicated food to make it more appetizering 

Thank you I'm hoping for everything to get delivered Tuesday so I can start treating

@Colu today was his 7th day of the medicated food and he looks much better he's more active and isn't clamping his fins. He is still flashing and has damaged a few of the scales around his head and gills. Should I go ahead and medicate him with salt with the 1 tablespoon per five gallons concentration to help with those injuries?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Colu I noticed these past couple days he has started hanging out closer to the bottom of the tank and not looking as happy again. His fins aren't fully clamped as they were last time but he definitely doesn't look happy. Sunday I put more gravel in his tank so I could plant some plants I had floating and that's when I first realized these symptoms again. I did have a bacterial bloom after adding the gravel so I don't know if that was just a stressor so he's now not happy. This seems to be an upward battle do you happen to have any ideas on what else to do? Theres currently 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt in the tank and he looks a little more perked up today. 

On 12/21/2021 at 8:18 PM, laritheloud said:

How much was he flashing? Was it constant or was it just once a day or so?

Do you run CO2 in the tank by any chance?

He was flashing fairly regularly it got better after the meds I ran through him and it used to be very deliberate and seemed a lot more harsh than he is now. Today when he did it it was very lazy but he was still flashing if that makes sense. He would go through bouts of doing it so I would see him do it 3-4 times in a row then he would take a break for a little bit but now its lazy and once or twice I catch him doing it.

No CO2 the only things I put in for plants are Easy Carbon, Easy Green, and some Easy root tabs under the gravel. Yesterday I did add beneficial bacteria when I noticed the cloudy water to see if that would help (I have no idea if it did anything or if the bacterial bloom cleared itself up) and the 1 tablespoon and a teaspoon of salt. I did one round of salt roughly a week ago and he seemed quite a bit better and more active but I'm scared of killing all my plants so I dont know if it would be best to put him in a quarantine to be able to push ample amount of salt through?

I'm trying to think about what else could be happening. Sometimes fish just flash and water changes can aggravate it OR alleviate it. My fish all scratch an itch occasionally, but they've all been through multiple parasite treatments and there are no parasites in the tank. Some flashing isn't a concern, but if it is constant flashing that won't stop and you're noticing most of the fish in the tank doing it, then it's something else.

Did you remove any of the old substrate when you added the gravel? That could definitely disturb your filter bed, and it's a pretty big change for a small fish. He might be feeling a little stressed out from the changes in his tank and needs to adjust. I think maybe, at this point, you should provide some nice clean water and let him rest. Make sure the water parameters are stable and that he is eating and pooping normally and give him a little bit of a break.

Also, make sure that when you add salt to the tank that you calculate how much you remove with water changes and don't add back too much. If you added a tablespoon, then do a 25% water change, you should only add 1/4 tablespoon back.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2021 at 11:04 PM, laritheloud said:

I'm trying to think about what else could be happening. Sometimes fish just flash and water changes can aggravate it OR alleviate it. My fish all scratch an itch occasionally, but they've all been through multiple parasite treatments and there are no parasites in the tank. Some flashing isn't a concern, but if it is constant flashing that won't stop and you're noticing most of the fish in the tank doing it, then it's something else.

Did you remove any of the old substrate when you added the gravel? That could definitely disturb your filter bed, and it's a pretty big change for a small fish. He might be feeling a little stressed out from the changes in his tank and needs to adjust. I think maybe, at this point, you should provide some nice clean water and let him rest. Make sure the water parameters are stable and that he is eating and pooping normally and give him a little bit of a break.

Also, make sure that when you add salt to the tank that you calculate how much you remove with water changes and don't add back too much. If you added a tablespoon, then do a 25% water change, you should only add 1/4 tablespoon back.

Ohh that would make sense! I removed quite a bit of water when I planted the plants and I noticed the next day I had the tiniest amount of ammonia so I probably messed with the filter bed by covering it up with the new gravel. This morning he was right up top ready to eat so he was probably just overly stressed with the massive change. Thank you! I didn't even think it could've just been stress since the flashing looks different than it did before!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on him! He is looking so much better! His wounds are starting to heal and he is so much more active and not hiding as much. Another thing I realized that may have been contributing to his unhappiness was my light was on the brightest setting possible because it reset when we lost power for a couple minutes a couple weeks ago and I didn't realize it 🤦🏼‍♀️ As soon as I turned his light back down where it was supposed to be he came straight out🥳! He over all looks happier and is getting back to his normal personality. I also haven't noticed any more flashing he could still be doing it but I haven't noticed anything! I'm keeping my fingers crossed he is finally on the mend of these issues but knock on wood that I'm not jinxing anything🥳! Thank you so much for all the help I would've had no idea what to do with all of this!