Bronze Corydoras

Dan T.

Does anyone know how often Bronze Corydoras spawn? Back in July I purchased three and I now have at least eight that I'm aware of. The small ones are cute, fun to watch and grow very quickly. They leave eggs on the glass, usually every two to three weeks. They're in a community aquarium with a small school of Neon Tetras, one Honey Gourami and a Mystery Snail. I'm sure that the majority of the fry are eaten but that's no problem since I had no intentions of breeding them. Thanks

The max I’ve seen personally is every week-2weeks but it’s usually more random. It varies with things like diet temp etc. and seems more like when they feel like it. So I guess if you were breeding intentionally and gave ideal everything you could get them every week. But in a normal community I believe it’s just randomly when conditions just happen to be met and ideal. 
edit I’ve not had bronze this is observation from several other types of corydora 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

Mine spawn almost every time I do a water change, I've read something about the change in water levels and the sound of water falling makes them think 'rainy season' in their little fishy brain. I haven't had success in any surviving, and half of the time, the female turns around and eats her eggs immediately after laying.🤦‍♂️

On 10/17/2021 at 8:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

The max I’ve seen personally is every week-2weeks but it’s usually more random. It varies with things like diet temp etc. and seems more like when they feel like it. So I guess if you were breeding intentionally and gave ideal everything you could get them every week. But in a normal community I believe it’s just randomly when conditions just happen to be met and ideal. 
edit I’ve not had bronze this is observation from several other types of corydora 

Thanks for the information. I've discovered that I enjoy watching the corydoras antics. They're zoom around the aquarium sometimes investigating the mystery snail which ignores them.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:51 AM, DannyBWell said:

Like Guppysnail said mine can spawn once a week back to back weeks but then they could go a month without spawning it is kind of random. Get them fat and happy and they will spawn more often for you if that is your goal.

Thanks. I feed the fish twice a day, a variety of flake, frozen and sinking tabs for the corys. Once a week they are on a one day fast.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 11:48 AM, Siett88 said:

Mine spawn almost every time I do a water change, I've read something about the change in water levels and the sound of water falling makes them think 'rainy season' in their little fishy brain. I haven't had success in any surviving, and half of the time, the female turns around and eats her eggs immediately after laying.🤦‍♂️

Thanks. I think the reason some of the fry survive is my aquarium is heavily planted. I added catalpa leaves which probably provides extra shelter. Since I noticed the first fry, I backed off on cleaning any algae on the glass except for the front pane.

Mine will typically spawn every day for a few days, then skip a week or 2, then repeat.  Cooler water during a water change is a big trigger.  I’m not trying to breed mine, yet I’ve been able to sell a dozen locally and will soon have 7 more youngsters in a grow out now getting ready to sell (probably another month).

I still need to set the fish trap again to get more of the little guys out of my 100 G.  Somehow the big ones get in the fish trap too.  I’ve learned to my dismay, that you have to get the big ones out quick.  😔 

• Sad 1