Got a Java fern from ACO today, it came looking very nice like it always does. Then once I get ahold of it  blaaaa. I hope this works out better than the last 6ish try’s with it. When I removed it from the pot and started cleaning out the roots it kinda came apart in small sections most with 1-2 leaves a couple with no leaves. All roots looked super healthy as did I the leaves. Did I do this correctly?31AD8A5F-F92F-4E7E-8F10-3DA3DD64584F.jpeg.5c23d7b3e1ae15e4f958fd60f72c1a3a.jpegDC71AFBF-A247-4928-AFC6-CFFFCCFE5371.jpeg.e276e04916418a4c0f4ebe68d5eb71e4.jpeg

is this ok to separate like this or should I have tried to keep it as 1 (keep it as 1 is what I’ve done before)

And the weights should be fine right?

if they came as separate plants then you did it right.  if it came as one long rhizome, then you just propagated it like 6 times.  either way give it some time and you'll have a bunch! 🙂

Edited by CT_
  • Like 1

Good, it was all bunched together in the pot all I had to do was gently separate it (no cutting)

On 10/17/2021 at 4:05 AM, CT_ said:

if they came as separate plants then you did it right.  if it came as one long rhizome, then you just propagated it like 6 times.  either way give it some time and you'll have a bunch! 🙂

Yep. My Java always starts looking poorly at first and just like stems it sends out new rhizome plants off the leaves and the original leaves die off. The rhizome on the original plant also sends out new growth for me. I bunch all my babies together then to make a full lush looking plant until they get big and look nice on their own. (Optical illusion is my friend 😁) it takes a very long time for the baby plants to grow big and full so a lot of places send a bunch of smaller plants so you have something pretty to work with. I love when they come as many in one.  I’ll get some pics for you when the fishes wake up. 
(I usually start with the tube Java…so many impulse buys I just can’t not buy a plant every stinking time 🤣)

Edited by Guppysnail

On 10/17/2021 at 6:18 AM, Guppysnail said:

Yep. My Java always starts looking poorly at first and just like stems it sends out new rhizome plants off the leaves and the original leaves die off. The rhizome on the original plant also sends out new growth for me. I bunch all my babies together then to make a full lush looking plant until they get big and look nice on their own. (Optical illusion is my friend 😁) it takes a very long time for the baby plants to grow big and full so a lot of places send a bunch of smaller plants so you have something pretty to work with. I love when they come as many in one.  I’ll get some pics for you when the fishes wake up. 
(I usually start with the tube Java…so many impulse buys I just can’t not buy a plant every stinking time 🤣)

Lol yea when I’d go to any fish store I used to go straight the tanks, equipment, maybe hardscape. Now it is absolutely straight to the plant section see what they have so I can think about what I want while I do what ever I came there to actually do. And I feel like I never leave without atleast 1 plant

• Like 1

Ok the tall leaves that are browning are the original but still produces babies. Most of the short ones are all the babies I’ve gotten from it. No rhizome has more than 2-4 leaves but bunched it looks full E5A494C0-289B-4231-B3D9-5EC19C3574F1.jpeg.6039b096c46d5963d6bf4ebe402a236c.jpeg

these are random 2 leaf babies glued down. The gravel is not deep enough to cover the rhizome just a thin layer (excuse the wafer my snail drug in there)E2B79D96-AE0B-4EE4-8BF2-D7091E0C2547.jpeg.cd37c4b595fdba112a57a10540e278f3.jpeg

• Like 3

Those look great, I hope I have better luck this time. Although admittedly when I’ve had it before I wasn’t paying to much attention to the plants just kinda letting them do there own thing (that’s why I have so much val all I needed to do was add root tabs) so while these are in the grow out tank do you think I should just let them stay separated then group them once they have new growth?

On 10/17/2021 at 10:39 AM, Atitagain said:

Those look great, I hope I have better luck this time. Although admittedly when I’ve had it before I wasn’t paying to much attention to the plants just kinda letting them do there own thing (that’s why I have so much val all I needed to do was add root tabs) so while these are in the grow out tank do you think I should just let them stay separated then group them once they have new growth?

I would group loosely with string then weight the string on either side so the weight is not surrounding the rhizome.  They like flow over the rhizome.  

Or separate it doesn’t matter as long as the weight isn’t round the rhizome tight

• Love 1