Fx4 question

DannyBWell

Couldn't believe when I took my dog to pick out her bday toys at a national chain pet store fx4s were on sale for 199.99 and fx6s for 249.99 plus an extra $25 off so I picked one up. My first question is, is there any threat if the power goes out of this flooding at all? Second question is why is there a flow valve on the return for the intake I would think there would only be one for the output. Last question is there was a oring tying the hose around the cannister is this a replacement oring or just for shipping? So far I am very impressed with it. It replaced a 10 year old HOB that was on its last leg that I had to pray started back up after every water change but definetly not perfect can't wait to see how I like it in the long run.

I’m only familiar with the 07 but the flow valve should be similar.  It is an Aqua stop on the 07 series you stop all flow then unplug and release the hoses. Water stays in the hose at the tank. to take can to where you clean it. When you hook it back up plug it in and then open the valve so it self primes. Sorry if they are different but this is how the entire 07 series works I have 107, 307, 407.  And holy crap an fix for that price….awesome! No threat of flooding on the 07 so I don’t see why it would on the fx 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

They have a "smart" circuit that can self prime and self purge air to keep it running smoothly. They are 100% sealed systems and will not overflow during an outage.  This ability makes them great filters for coming back to life after an outage.

The valves on both intake and output are for you to close off for maintenance so you can open the cannister without siphoning all your tank water on the floor.

• Thanks 1

On my 125 and 120 I have the fx5 and fx4. On both I made my own prefilters using parts from jehmco and 1" vinyl tubing. 

I split the intake and put it in both corners and put the output in the center of the tank.

I clean the prefilter sponges every water change and only ever open up the cannister every 6 months or so. It stays very clean inside and only has the coarse foam on the perimeters with bags of matrix/crushed coral in the centers.

I look at the canister as a circulation pump that houses my beneficial bacteria while the prefilters take care of mechanical filtration.

PXL_20211010_065553676.jpg

Edited by s1_
  • Love 1

I would keep the sponge filters unless you hate the look. I have the same linear piston pump the co-op sells. I run air to all of my tanks, and if I have air I figure I might as well have a sponge filter. To me they provide good backup beneficial bacteria and aeration. I have a battery backup that I built that keeps the air pump running 24/7. So during an outage I have air and some filtration.