Fungus or Cotton Wool Disease (corydoras)

Chlo

I have started noticing that one of my panda corydoras has a white (possibly) fungal growth on its head. I'm not sure if it is fungus or cotton wool disease. The infected cory's health hasn't been the best since I got him. I bought the cories online and had to convert them (using drip acclimation) from a pH of 6 to 8, so I think that may be a big part of why he/she has been stressed. The cory also might have fin rot because its fin doesn't seem to be as full as the other cories. The only other symptoms I see in the tank is one cory that I noticed yesterday to have what looks like (fungal??) fin rot. I  added a dose of kanaplex yesterday because the possible fungus didn't become super noticeable until today and I wanted to treat the cory with possible fin rot without stressing it out by moving it or killing the bacteria in the tank. I probably shouldn't have put in the medicine without researching a lot beforehand so if I need to I can do water changes or use carbon to get rid of it. The tank is 20 gallons.                                                                  

• pH 8
  • Nitrates (I haven't tested super recently, but right now the only fish in the tank are 7 juvenile corydoras and two baby platies so I'm assuming the nitrates aren't very high)
  • Hardness 17 GH
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • KH/Buffer 6 (?)
  • Water Temperature 75-76 F

get_hangouts_attachment_url?url_type=FIFE_URL&attachment_token=AOe91x0QkpeyldJF918_N5y_-YaaXnreN9YekR7BM_63fWonXysR4gvBukesF1JUKzS_KfBAjPUCyzz5b8utQbd-MjqbWMdUQVTzSY-btfeDDYDIIbmh3naq8Qv9Bd94OzA5ZdfSwqyTuKIwQYtDQuhCRZjjvQet5OfdUypmQMcqKvjWVkOc3cxoeqeMj3saGtiRD5-kRQ36ncuuNEu6QkAmwrEzmqAzUG3bDMKOiWh8FjcurrgYRguRXvZAsG5g57h_1jo-C7BwmQ%3D%3D&width=756&height=1008&authuser=0&size=512

get_hangouts_attachment_url?url_type=FIFE_URL&attachment_token=AOe91x2vw_Wpc7WIdUsDF39CyjkdwiYq0yXAXfj6wydK1cY_AMaa68FoJQtiNoC3vVeJ1Yoy6mfJHyw9xmffTjdAy1c5ZIeFb5GOrWvtvufMsPenxHNam7X-TUZDzSv-d5FCO9a55_uvplF2RVSwpCoXFGJZmzvmRlIuc9a1sPER9wMhbFfexfFvPmpTHxZn6JXFd-0MkcimU4jLStIyfpHKTgbzLI7ljrGjHdfm87yD9kxvZfrEGTsFY9E5tyxZnopjZ-duzoKcdg%3D%3D&width=756&height=1008&authuser=0&size=512

get_hangouts_attachment_url?url_type=FIFE_URL&attachment_token=AOe91x0TPvz58jiBUJF5KgdOBMGYSSYYcvaM3_cRoBfGZKFD6mLkI6t8iFo9TW2V85xbG-bGdInMQGpptlBGYhoXaNpSQ74Cv0kyWdmBqP4ihGPaLsJIOUKGHhU4E9KD3JuclIDrFwzV5AQO1Hg5qdDoBPOOUrap96JvM9yNcA5pJgbUaNi7Zevm6KNRO99sBQQ9J-3CcsbYgMckV6SVTcXS3iFTcjrxrXd-Xm2GCcjoAEf_CEPAYQJekK5OuWr8CPIywnFJXDZ5ag%3D%3D&width=756&height=1008&authuser=0&size=512

Cory with possible fin rot:

get_hangouts_attachment_url?url_type=FIFE_URL&attachment_token=AOe91x29nquDgotdthmMTtyWoat65AFiHEQk9QNT4vYwRJYfeOsZe4D3HSr_RkHRh1YHyrggHwyKaGjJCVvC_P7Zfe6hhu-5upYoqh3Zih7lnMMfoMazkxf7CbyPwQB4yZ7mqBqC_4W9SRkSXBrDinNaBz3v_fHbDanF5kdOhlKmqfMbsG9J68Itr4qrZyweYeX-arOQJXiMfqlag76i50cZUInJhyIvn3pGypFGgekMR7fLvIdm0C-Ni3P6RMvkR_H9YZKTxhzQtg%3D%3D&width=756&height=1008&authuser=0&size=512

Oh ok so I already put in kanaplex yesterday and I do have ich x, but does it kill the bacteria? Also on the ich x bottle it says it can stain things like rocks in the tank, which I have, so should I be worried about that?

Edit: I just realized you said you can use ich x and kanaplex together only when you are adding the kanaplex to their food... I already have kanaplex in the tank so should I try to remove that with carbon first? Also I don't know/don't have Focus so can I leave that out if I medicate the food?

Edited by Chlo

Focus acts as a binding agent I would not leave it out of the food recipe ick x can stain things but have used it and not had that problem ick x won't Harm your benefial bacterial if you don't have focus what I would do is treat just with ick x to get the fungal infection under control as it requires daily water that will help with fin rot

On 10/16/2021 at 7:35 PM, Colu said:

Focus acts as a binding agent I would not leave it out of the food recipe ick x can stain things but have used it and not had that problem ick x won't Harm your benefial bacterial if you don't have focus what I would do is treat just with ick x to get the fungal infection under control as it requires daily water that will help with fin rot

Oh ok. Unfortunately when I checked on the tank a little while ago I found the cory with fungus had passed. 😢 He seemed fine this morning so I'm not sure what happened. In this case should I keep the kanaplex in the tank to just try to treat the cory with fin rot? Or could the disease from the cory that passed have already spread to the others?

Sorry to hear he didn't make it I would finish the course of kanaplex for the fin rot cotton wool disease is an opportunistic fungus that attachés to fish with weaken immune system or injuries I would just treat for fin rot for now if you do notice any fungus on your other fish then I would treat with ick x

Edited by Colu

On 10/17/2021 at 5:38 AM, Colu said:

Sorry to hear he didn't make it I would finish the course of kanaplex for the fin rot cotton wool disease is an opportunistic fungus that attachés to fish with weaken immune system or injuries I would just treat for fin rot for now if you do notice any fungus on your other then treat with ick x

Ok, thanks