Anyone else getting into hockey for the first time?

Dwayne Brown

My city recently got their first hockey team the Krakens, and I love them. I love the logo, the merch, the colors, and the symbols. But I have no idea how hockey works. I've been watching videos explaining it and it's a little confusing. But I enjoy every game day, and I love getting decked out in their merch. Has anyone else had a similar experience in which a sports team that they knew nothin about. Came to their region, and now they can't get enough of em. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Not in my region, but I became super interested in rugby last summer and started watching a lot online. I find it fascinating, and now kind of wish I had played rugby instead of football. If I ever make it over to Australia or New Zealand, I would love to catch a live rugby match (or, if the New Zealand All Blacks were to come to California again, catch them playing here). 

I learned to love hockey-I grew up in California (before they had hockey there)and when we moved to Minnesota, of course my kids had to learn to play community hockey and we went to MN North Star games (now the Wild). It was a great family activity (though kind of pricey) and we had a lot of fun with it. I haven't seen a game in a long time and I never did learn to ice skate myself......

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:35 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

Came to their region

Sort of. 

On 10/18/2021 at 8:24 PM, dmurray407 said:

I grew up in California (before they had hockey there)

So, I grew up in the Bay Area, and when I was little the San Jose Sharks came into being and the whole area near me when mad for hockey.  But I had relatives in Michigan, so I knew about hockey and had an unspecified connection via that to the Red Wings.  It put me at odds with the local team, and crystalized my support for the opposition.  I've never been bothered being the contrarian.  😎  But, i don't really follow it any more.  Or any sports for that matter.  Just kind of lost interest in pro sports,  Something about getting emotionally wrapped up in the outcome of a game played by millionaires that couldn't hold my attention as I grew older.

On 10/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, Zenzo said:

if the New Zealand All Blacks

I got to see the All Blacks play in Wellington from the box.  It was awesome!  Mainly all the great food there and the free booze.  But also rugby was interesting.  I reminded me of "blurnsball" in Futurama - just close enough to a sport you know about (football) to give you the sense you understand what's going on, until something completely unexpected happens, like when they all hug, and then you realize "no, nope, I'm lost again!" 🤣

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:04 AM, Zenzo said:

Not in my region, but I became super interested in rugby last summer and started watching a lot online. I find it fascinating, and now kind of wish I had played rugby instead of football. If I ever make it over to Australia or New Zealand, I would love to catch a live rugby match (or, if the New Zealand All Blacks were to come to California again, catch them playing here). 

If you ever make it out to NM, we have several active rugby teams, a lot of Samoans (who knew, in the desert 🤷‍♂️), and most of the high schools also have rugby teams.

In the spring, during one of the Highland games days, we have been known to have some of the most competitive rugby sevens play for some of the smallest crowds. Last decade, several of our Brujos team had played with several of the NZAB for a global competition for pro players who couldn't do the Olympics. (My cranial flatulence has the name of the games just outside of typing memory).

TBH, I spent more time stitching eyebrows back together than watching the games🤷‍♂️ I do love being able to watch the high school kids play. They are still so passionate about creating a better world through sports, it gives me hope for my grandboos.

<oops, hit submit by accident>

I miss the Scorpions being based here, it was fun to spend a Saturday hip checking on a pickup game at the ice rink.

So I guess I am going in the opposite direction: I don't follow hockey anymore since we lost our pro team.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1