Dean's quarantine Med Trio variation for wild caught

Zipgun

I have my first batch of locally caught native and invasive fish in quarantine using the med trio. I can't remember which video it was that Dean talked about his variation of quarantine  by alternating between the trio and Levamisole. I am on day 6 and will soon need to do a water change and treat with Levamisole. For the Levamisole, are we supposed to follow the manufacturer's instructions, or do something different?  Also, how bad is it to feed the fish during the quarantine period? I lucked out and ended up with three fat sleeper gobies in addition to some feral swordtails (including two females which are red) and some very small gambusia. Due to the wider than expected size variation (one of the fat sleepers is a good 3 inches) in the fish, I've been feeding to prevent predation. 

11 minutes ago, Zipgun said:

I have my first batch of locally caught native and invasive fish in quarantine using the med trio. I can't remember which video it was that Dean talked about his variation of quarantine  by alternating between the trio and Levamisole. I am on day 6 and will soon need to do a water change and treat with Levamisole. For the Levamisole, are we supposed to follow the manufacturer's instructions, or do something different?  Also, how bad is it to feed the fish during the quarantine period? I lucked out and ended up with three fat sleeper gobies in addition to some feral swordtails (including two females which are red) and some very small gambusia. Due to the wider than expected size variation (one of the fat sleepers is a good 3 inches) in the fish, I've been feeding to prevent predation. 

If I recall correctly, the video where Dean was talking about his quarantine technique was in one of the Wild Peruvian Collecting Trip videos.....don't hold me to that, though!

As for levamisole, if you purchased a commerially manufactured medication where levamisole is a main ingrediant then follow the manufacturer's suggested guidelines.  If you purchased "raw" levamisole from a pharmaceutical company or other outlet then be sure to research the proper dosage for your application, as they may vary due to the purity or strength of the drug.  This is where buying a good (and proven) book on fish health or diseases that offers different "recipes" for using particular drugs is absolutely vital and worth the weight in gold.

As for feeding during quarantine - YES, but sparingly.  Watch that water quality and don't push them to eat.  Offer whole foods if possible and observe the fish carefully during the process.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Thank!  I have offered a variety of foods and they have taken to all of them well. I will be cutting back on feeding for the rest of the quarantine period.

I have the Subquaria levamisole and will be following their instructions. 

Edited by Zipgun
typo
  • Thanks 1