Goodbye Mom Fish

Hobbit

This afternoon I came home from lunch with a friend and found Mom Fish, my honey gourami female, upside down on the substrate in the 55g.

She was maybe 2 years old, so I wasn’t expecting to lose her so soon.

Last night I noticed her tail looked a little frayed, like fin rot was starting, but that’s the only sign anything was wrong. She ate normally last night and even flirted with Dad Fish a bit. I’m wondering if the last water change I did on this tank (5 days ago) was just too big and maybe she experienced osmotic shock? But everyone else looks fine, and no one looked uncomfortable during or right after the water change, so I’m have to assume this was a fluke, like a heart attack or something.

I kept her in a bowl of water all afternoon because I just couldn’t believe she was gone.

I just buried her under a rose bush in the front yard and man, it was so tough to lay her in the ground!

Mom Fish and Dad Fish having fry was what got me into the breeding side of the hobby and started my MTS. I raised probably 30 of their offspring, three of which I thankfully kept.

I’ll really miss her. I’ll miss how she greeted me at the glass—I’d wiggle my shoulders and she’d wave her fins. 

I’ll miss watching her antics with Dad Fish. She was always up for flirting, and he adored her!

I’ll miss catching her sleeping in the top corner of the tank, and the little jolt she’d do when she woke up and saw me.

I’ll miss her cute, pretty yellow presence in my first community tank.

I’ll miss raising her fry. I thought I’d be raising hundreds more of her fry.

Now it’s just Dad Fish with two daughters and one son in the 55 gallon.

I’ll miss you, Mom Fish.

18118BE1-9803-45C1-B4DD-4225D15EE5CE.jpeg.d08c2af5294db590139c383fe68ee588.jpeg

Edited by Hobbit
  • Sad 9

On 10/15/2021 at 10:41 PM, DebSills said:

I hope its a yellow rose bush ❤️

It’s a Joseph’s coat, so the roses shift colors as they bloom. There’s a bit of yellow in them, but a yellow rose bush would have been so perfect! ❤️

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate that you all understand. ❤️

• Like 1