I don't think this one was really ready for sale

I know they don't like plants going out like that, but I'd check the roots too.  The truth is that the leaves may have been destined to die back since they grow above water at the farm.  In the warehouse they get a few days to a week(s) to melt back and regrow,  so technically you're getting a plant that's one step closer to being happy submerged (assuming big healthy roots).

But yeah I can see being unhappy with that so I'd ask their support.  But don't throw it away see what happens 😉

• Thanks 1

All the leaves have now fallen off.  I'm leaving it in the tank to see if they grow back.  Fingers crossed.  I'm not going to complain to Co_Op as it seems so much for a 10$ plant.  Its just frustrating is all.  I will still order other stuff from CO-OP.  , I will still recommend others to the site.  It's just mail order plants that will give me pause, and that's from anyone.  I have ordered form another site and had mixed results.  When in a physical shop you can pick and choose better.  

They may actually have helped you a bit by giving you a plant that’s further along in the conversion process. The air grown leaves were going to die off anyway. 

Having said that I actually only have one Crypt wendtii (pink flamingo) because I don’t like that stage of growth! The other four varieties of Crypt I own are less prone to melt. 

• Like 1

Bummer! The crypts I bought from the coop a few months ago ended up melting away to nothing unfortunately (they arrived looking fine). I have a guess that they don’t do as well staying in their rock wool as other plants do. Has anyone else kept crypts in their rock wool long term and had success? Or is it best to take them out right away?

On 10/20/2021 at 10:43 AM, Hobbit said:

Bummer! The crypts I bought from the coop a few months ago ended up melting away to nothing unfortunately (they arrived looking fine). I have a guess that they don’t do as well staying in their rock wool as other plants do. Has anyone else kept crypts in their rock wool long term and had success? Or is it best to take them out right away?

In my [admittedly limited] experience with any crypt (and most other plants) is if they were shipped to me, they recoup better if I take them out of the rock wool immediately, and first put them in a recuperation tub that I overdose with ferts (gradual increase so I don't burn the plants).

I've been doing this to speed up propagation, because I want to start my dining room tank out fully planted. Side effect has been the beautiful new plants in all my tanks.

Since I had never ordered plants online before the pandemic, I have limited experience of the past 18 months. (I have had my BIL ship me mosses from NC for decades, but they seem to be more forgiving)

• Like 2

Yes, I also received a crypt from COOP last month that wasn't ready or shouldn't have been shipped in the first place (in my opinion). But as always COOP took complete care and sent me a new one. And the new one was and is 100 times better. The pic on the right shows it had no leaves and it wasn't until I opened the rockwool that I did find 3 tiny roots about a 1/4 inch in size which 2 weeks later turned to mush. My point is, COOP stands by their products with customer service that is the best ever! 

Cryptocoryne.jpg

• Like 2