Anubias as a floating plant?

• Administrators
On 10/15/2021 at 9:50 AM, Chuck13 said:

Can you just let an anubias float in your tank?

Will it be alright if it isn’t attached to something?

I think for long term growth and plant health, they may do better when attached. However, sometimes when I am temporarily growing one out or holding one for another tank, I will float them in my planted co2 aquarium. They always have done well. Not sure if the co2, light, and nutrients have anything to do with that though.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:50 AM, Chuck13 said:

Can you just let an anubias float in your tank?

Will it be alright if it isn’t attached to something?

Yes, but they will grow leaves in all directions and make it awkward to attach them to something later if you change your mind.  They behave better (leaf orientation wise) if you weight them down or attach them to something.  They will take up nutrients from the water either way.

That said, I get better growth when they are attached to wood (where the roots can grab some nutrients) or the wood or rock they are attached to is small enough for their roots to reach a nutritious substrate.

• Thanks 1

I wanted one higher up (so you could see it past some hardscape) but not floating so i put a plant weight around it and it "stood" on its roots about 2" above a hidden cholla wood I keep back there for my shrimp and otos.  I went to move it a couple weeks later and apparently it had other plans and was firmly attached "floating" above that wood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:49 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yes, but they will grow leaves in all directions and make it awkward to attach them to something later if you change your mind.  They behave better (leaf orientation wise) if you weight them down or attach them to something.  They will take up nutrients from the water either way.

That said, I get better growth when they are attached to wood (where the roots can grab some nutrients) or the wood or rock they are attached to is small enough for their roots to reach a nutritious substrate.

Oh my god yes!, this happened to one of my anubias and a java fern too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1