I got cory eggs!

Lyca_Watyre

I have some albino bronze, and some "green" corys. I'm pretty sure they're a mixed bag. One grew much bigger than the rest, but they all came from the same store under the same label. My babies are probably going to be hybrids so I won't be selling them. 

Update: The eggs have hatched!!! I would get pics but the babies are so small that my camera just won't focus on them. Wish me luck!

Now instead of worrying if they'll hatch, I have to worry about keeping them healthy. But that's a good worry to have. 😄

On 10/18/2021 at 7:46 AM, Lyca_Watyre said:

I have some albino bronze, and some "green" corys. I'm pretty sure they're a mixed bag. One grew much bigger than the rest, but they all came from the same store under the same label. My babies are probably going to be hybrids so I won't be selling them. 

Update: The eggs have hatched!!! I would get pics but the babies are so small that my camera just won't focus on them. Wish me luck!

Now instead of worrying if they'll hatch, I have to worry about keeping them healthy. But that's a good worry to have. 😄

Just FYI, “bronze” and “green” cories are the same species, Corydoras aeneus.  The majority of albino cories (but not all, there are albinos of many species) are C. aeneus.

Sometimes “emerald cories” are sold as green cories.  They are a different species, Brochis splendens.  These have more than 10 rays in their dorsal fin and a notably longer nose and straighter, less rounded face overall and, to me, a very slightly chunkier/taller middle of the body compared to C. aeneus.  C. aeneus has only 10 rays in the dorsal fin.  You’d think this fin difference is tiny but once you see the difference you can spot it quickly and it’s the easiest thing to spot and learn.  The face and body difference is more subtle.  Brochis is longer and longer (fin and face) than Cory (it only works if you shorten the name 😆).

They have very similar coloration which can vary significantly but both will have metallic green flashes over most of the body.  Body color can vary immensely from near black to albino in both species.

Oh, and congratulations!

• Like 1

Thanks duck, that helps! I have about 15 babies and all are doing well. I've been burying myself in research, since I hadn't planned to breed my corys at all. They seem happier on sand than bare bottom, so I gave them a layer of aquarium sand that I had in the parent's tank. Also a little hiding rock and a bit of driftwood so they could have places to take cover if they want.

20211025_182452.jpg

On 10/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, Lyca_Watyre said:

Thanks duck, that helps! I have about 15 babies and all are doing well. I've been burying myself in research, since I hadn't planned to breed my corys at all. They seem happier on sand than bare bottom, so I gave them a layer of aquarium sand that I had in the parent's tank. Also a little hiding rock and a bit of driftwood so they could have places to take cover if they want.

20211025_182452.jpg

That should make them happy.  Good job!  It’s so fun having baby cories.