Unhappy freshwater fish

Fishminder

We started a new 29g tank a couple months ago. We were novices, so talked to our lfs for advice. Unfortunately, as we've found out, it was very bad advice! We slowly added 2 black skirt tetras, 2 cory catfish, 2 rainbow sharks, 2 angelfish and a few nerites. Come to find out, the tetras and corys need to be in groups of 6 each. The tank is far too small for that many fish. We added 4 more tetras so at least they'd be less stressed as a group, but then our larger rainbow shark started getting very aggressive towards the smaller one.  We removed the smaller shark to our 10gal tank and it's doing great, but that night, the shark (or tetras-?) ate one of our angelfish. We had to move the angel into a holding tank for protection for now, but we're not sure what to do. The corys need a bigger group, but we don't have room. The angel needs to go back in at some point, but not get eaten. I'm frustrated that we were told incorrect information to start, or we'd have chosen different fish. Getting a bigger tank rn isn't an option. An aquarium store a bit of a drive from us takes fish...should we take the 6 tetras there and get a couple more appropriate fish? Got a better idea? We still have just the 2 corys needing a school... Thanks

Edited by Fishminder
Grammar

If it were me, I'd plan on trading in the angel fish and the sharks.  Based on what I've heard and read, neither will work well in a 29g long term.   Then I'd beef up the cory population and settle on one or two mid or top level species.  

Aquarium Co-op has a video with some great suggestions for a 29-gallon tank.

First of all, don't get overwrought by arbitrary rules that some people come up with.

Yes, Cory Catfish do well in groups, and yes, they look neat swimming together in those groups, but it's NOT a requirement to have 6 or more. I have 2 very happy Bronze Corydoras in a 20 gallon tank that I've had in there for years (6 or 7 years at least). They are quite happy, and to prove it, they have bred periodically throughout those years. In that same tank, I have 10 Glowlight Tetras and 2 Bolivian Rams. And I assure you, my tank is NOT overcrowded. And I have 3 Corydoras in another 20 gallon tank with a group of Platies and a couple of Swordtails, and those 3 Corydoras--just 3, not 6--are happy as they can be too.

The same is true for tetras. Yes, tetras like to be in groups, but they're not necessarily miserable if they're not. I've had lots of groups of tetras in my life, and as they got older, I'd start losing some to age. That's just natural. But the ones that were left did just fine when it got down to 3, then down to just 2, and then finally down to just 1. (Think about it. If we were forced to replace fish to keep schools of 6 or more, we'd never get to change over to another type of fish to keep.)

I've never kept Black Skirt Tetras. I've read they can get a little snippy at times, but you've dealt with that by adding a few more, which should help spread out any aggression. I'm not saying they definitely will, but if yours ever get snippy with the fins of your Angels, you might have to deal with that issue at some point.

I don't know that much about Rainbow Sharks, but it sounds like you took care of that aggression problem by separating them. That's exactly what most seasoned aquarists would have done. Welcome to the world of fishkeeping. Things like that occur all the time, and you just deal with them, just like you've done.

Right after I got out of college way back in 1979, I visited my cousin in Atlanta. He and his girlfriend had a 29 gallon aquarium. That established tank included 2 beautiful full-grown Gold Angelfish, a Black Redtail Shark, a huge female swordtail (I've never seen a larger one, before or since), 2 or 3 platies, and a school of probably 12 to 15 various tetras, including Lemon Tetras and Serpae Tetras. To this day, I don't think I've ever seen a group of fish that were any happier than those in that tank. Not a single one would hide or sulk. All of the Tetras would swim happily out in the open. And those 2 Angels, and the swordtail too, would swim toward me like little puppy dogs whenever I went near the tank, and I'm just barely kidding when I say it looked like those fish were smiling the whole time I was there on that visit. I've been keeping fish since I was in the 5th grade in the 1960s, and believe me, I know happy fish when I see them. If that many fish were that happy in a 29 gallon, I don't think your tank is overcrowded.

Of course, there are some rules that are essential for fishkeeping, and there is great advice out there that should be listened to (Cory's expertise is probably the best I've ever run across), but don't get in your mind that things are a disaster if you violate some arbitrary rule, just because somebody else adheres to it. Just relax. Enjoy your fish. When problems occur (and they will), you can deal with them when they happen.

Edited by Carolina Guy
  • Like 2

Thank you both for the replies. Interestingly, the two blackfin tetras were pretty peaceful; it wasn't until we added 4 more that the shark got aggressive and the angels started hiding more. You've given me points to consider, and I will, thanks again.

I really like the advice of @Carolina Guy....if you like the fish, dont stress and keep them. I agree that you did need to remove one of the rainbow sharks. But if there's any that aren't doing well or that you aren't enjoying, feel free to take them to the nearest LFS that will accept em. I literally just did that with an entire tank of fish...I had 16 tiger barbs, som male platies, and a couple snails. For whatever reason the tiger barbs would not thrive in my tank and I wasn enjoying them. I took ALL of the creatures to me LFS and started over. Like you it was a new tank and I wished I had picked different fish. Ideally maybe you wouldn't have to take any back but at the same time maybe it's part of the learning process. I love the story of the packed 29 gallon that @Carolina Guy shared tho! Maybe I will go ahead and add that red tailed shark to my 38 gallon......  But yeah great advice to not feel like you HAVE to adhere to all these rules, and if your fish seem fine and are staying alive then something's working for them 🙂

Edited by FishObsessed

2 minutes ago, FishObsessed said:

I love the story of the packed 20 gallon that @Carolina Guy shared tho! Maybe I will go ahead and add that red tailed shark to my 38 gallon......   🙂

Just to be clear, that was a 29 gallon, not a 20. And I don't want to give the impression that I'm advocating for people to do things that might be ill-advised. Even though some situations call for adding additional fish, overall I believe that tanks are generally better off understocked than heavily stocked. And do some more research on that red tailed shark and whether it can coexist with the other inhabitants that you have planned. I personally don't have experience with them, but from what I understand, they can be a problem sometimes. The one I was talking about probably wasn't fully grown, and it could have ended up being a terror in the long run. (By the way, they gave that tank and its inhabitants away because they were moving to Hawaii.)

@Fishminder  I have read that fast moving fish can stress slower fish, as well as an overcrowded tank can stress fish. Maybe if your tetras are zipping around or if your tank was overcrowded it is causing your angel to hide and your rainbow shark to act out. But it's hard to say for sure.  I would keep the angel if you like it and re-home whichever ones you'd prefer.  This video that aquarium co-op did mentions different tank sizes for angels:

Right now I have a 38 gallon with 3 angelfish (juvenile), 3 albino corys, and 2 male fancy guppies. I recommend getting your water tested/testing it yourself and picking fish that go well with your water type. Or adjusting your water to match the fish you want to keep. You might want to do some research and see what goes well together. From what I've read most tetras should do ok with angelfish.  There also may be people that have been successful in keeping an angel and rainbow shark together. So it's more what you like in your tank so long as the fish won't be making each other miserable 🙂 and sometimes it might be kinda risk taking like "I'm gonna try this and hope it works!" But best wishes about getting it sorted! I know it can be frustrating to not be able to enjoy because you feel like you need to fix it. Let us know what you decide to do, I'm curious 🙂

Edited by FishObsessed

2 rainbow sharks and 2 angles in a 29 gal tank seams crowded, especially if the angles spawn.  I would think about rehoming the sharks ab one angle, then you ha e enough room for a school of tetras.  I have 3 panda Corydoras in a 10 gal.  Every 2 or 3 months I need to cart 5 or 10 baby pandas to the LFS, so it’s not really the number but the aesthetics.  2 of everything might look a bit thin.