Apistos or pelvichromis in new tank?!?

Kyle murfitt

Soooo setting up a new 30 gallon soon. Want it to be heavily planted and not do my normal mbuna or larger cichlids. I really like apistos  and pelvichromis or Kribs, but don't know a whole lit about them. Any advice , pros and cons , or other recommendations  for smaller species I could stock this tank with???? Thanks everyone

received_398370055282329.jpeg

received_1036610527135049.jpeg

received_880016776240789.jpeg

received_1729776040550251.jpeg

kribensis-care.jpg

Depositphotos_4762112_original.jpg

I have never kept apistogramma I would get a pair of apistos  group of tetras you like group of  corydoras such as  panda Corys or salt and pepper Cory's for the bottom of the tank and some nertie snails or Ramshorn snails for algae control as long as you have lots of cover for other fish just in case your apistos breed I think you will be fine

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

I have a pair of kribenses in a 20 long and they will not tolerate any other fish with them...they even pestered the snails so I had to remove them. Love their colors but I want more than 2 fish in this tank so I am considering rehoming and getting apistos. Any takers on a proven pair of kribs?😋

• Thanks 1

Kribensis can be hit or miss. Definitely found them to be aggressive around their percieved nest territory. I think the most peaceful cichlid you have on that list is the "cockatiel" cacatuoides. There are all sorts of morphs available now to depending on how much you wanted to spend. One of my favorites is the leucistic orange flash. The males teal finnage when displaying breeding behavior really pops on this variety.

I think @Colu has the right idea for tank mates. Some people also like to keep a more robust tetra species or pencilfish to inhabit the upper water column as your apistos like to find a cave near the bottom and guard it.

• Thanks 1

Both Apistos and pelvichromis are genus with many different species with different requirements and behavior. The apisto genus is huge (over 100 different species) and far more diverse in fish temperament from extremely passive to hyper aggressive. pelvichromis is much smaller with only 4 or 5 commonly available. As to which you keep and what if any tank mates depends on which specific species you choose and your intention (breeding vs decoration). 

Of the fishes mentioned I personally despise cockatoo as an extremely boring fish; and P. pulcher as a very easy to keep fish and interesting fish  but unpaired females can be a bit aggressive. My pygmy cory and pulcher came to an interesting understanding that one day I will try to reproduce. Over time they totally accepted each other to the extent that they pulcher allowed the pygmy to graze with their frys. 

Anyway without narrowing the scope some it is hard to answer your question. I will note that if you are breeding apisto pencil fishes make better dither fishes than tetra because they are less likely to pray on the frys; you could also try kubotai rasbora. You can keep tetra with the pulcher as they are larger and more apt at dealing with larger predators. 

For apisto in modest water I prefer borelli over cockatoo as being a more interesting fish. If you are willing to move torwards very soft acidic or out right blackwater conditions there are some other really interesting apisto species to consider. They don't require acidic water to live but do require such for breeding.

Some alternative to pulcher include subocellatus,  taeniatus and roloffi. 

--

The general rule is if you intend to breed the fish you should not keep pleco or cory with dwarf cichlid.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2

I have both in my community tank and they only show mild aggression towards each other. The kribs seem better as a pair I had a lone male for awhile and he would chase the apistos now I've added a female they just guard their cave. I believe kribs are limited to a pair territory wise but you could get a few apistos ( water permitting) which might be more fun.

Neither seem interested in any of the other fish.

• Like 1

I have heard some people say their kribs are the most gentle fish they have ever kept, and others say they are the most aggressive.... I had some apisto borellis once but they were very susceptible to parasites and I lost both of them. Now I have 3 bolivian rams and they are absolutely wonderful fish. I recommend you check them out online. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, Patrick_G said:

@anewbie, have you kept Apistogramma Agassizi? I’m wondering if they have the same personality as the cacatuoides? 

I have not but vaguely I think I read they were (significantly) more aggressive. I've kept borelli, nijennsi, hongsloi and cacatuoides. 

• Like 1