Feeding and Quarantine

John Zoidberg

My tank cycled over the weekend and i bought Endlers on Tuesday and added them to my tank. I was on the fence about medicating fish without signs of issues. I have since come around and feel as a new fish keeper its best to medicate. I didn't feed my fish on Tuesday or Wednesday since they needed an acclimation time. I would like to start the preventive treatment that Cory talked about in his video. He states in the video to start treatment on day one and not to feed the fish until day 3 or 4. Is it ok for me to go 7 days before feeding the fish? I assume the answer is yes but i would rather ask then be sorry later.

• Administrators

I see no reason why you should not start feeding your fish. Your tank is cycled, and you have had them for three days now. I usually feed my new fish the day after I get them, even when medicating. Just feed a little bit and observe. 

I personally feed for the first 3 to 5 days to know for sure the fish has eaten and maybe will put on a tiny bit of weight, then do a water change, and then will fast while doing the med trio.

Ive lost fish that were too malnourished to survive the fast/meds so I find giving them a bit of food first helps.

• Like 4

On 10/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, Its Hutch said:

I personally feed for the first 3 to 5 days to know for sure the fish has eaten and maybe will put on a tiny bit of weight, then do a water change, and then will fast while doing the med trio.

Ive lost fish that were too malnourished to survive the fast/meds so I find giving them a bit of food first helps.

I do the same. I'll generally avoid feeding on day 1 so I can darken the tank and let them de-stress a bit. I've made exceptions to this if I buy fish in the morning, before the fish store has fed them. I'll typically feed rich foods for a week or so with the same intent as Hutch. Meds can be tough on fish, especially if they're passing parasites or fighting infection, so my goal is to build their strength up and minimize their external stress before I put them through courses of medication.

• Like 2