Easy Green Dosing - Bad Bottle?

Doug_E

I have a bottle of easy green I've been using for a few months. It always seemed like it dosed low and most of my plants have been good, but not great. Some finally melted away entirely (Val, S Repens, Dwarf Hairgrass). Some may be due to light, but I'm using a Plant 3.0 on a 40b so they are getting good light. I finally tested how much comes out with each pump: less than 0.2mL.

Is this right? Either the bottle is defective or the instructions are wrong. No matter what I do with the pump, I cannot get more than a fraction of a mL out. 

How have I tested this? I pumped 10 times into a 5mL API tube and it was barely half an inch high. I used a pipette to suck it out and it was about 1.5mL in the pipette. I have graduated cylinders I can use to pump into and measure dosage. 

This might explain why some of my 'easy' plants have not done well. 

• Administrators

It sounds like the pump head is not operating as it should. Most likely the fertilizer is fine, and you will need to use a pipette to dose. Also, sometimes the pumps get clogged if they are unused for some time. You can remedy this by removing the pump head and cleaning it with hot water. 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:45 PM, Zenzo said:

It sounds like the pump head is not operating as it should. Most likely the fertilizer is fine, and you will need to use a pipette to dose. Also, sometimes the pumps get clogged if they are unused for some time. You can remedy this by removing the pump head and cleaning it with hot water. 

It does get clogged but when I clear it out, the pump 'action' is still very short and I can feel it hit some kind of physical limit. 

To think I've been dosing 1mL or less in my 40g all this time...

• Administrators
On 10/14/2021 at 9:49 AM, Doug_E said:

It does get clogged but when I clear it out, the pump 'action' is still very short and I can feel it hit some kind of physical limit. 

To think I've been dosing 1mL or less in my 40g all this time...

It is probably a bad pump head then.