Pygmy Cories, the worst best fish

lmhicks101

Today I became the proud caretaker of 8 of these little crack fairies and boy was I not ready for that.

Let’s start out with the size. First, I had to special order them from my lfs and I was expecting something about an inch. Yeah there’s not even half an inch. I thought oh boy. I’ll lose them in the tank and never see them. That was my first mistake. 

Second, I thought oh they’ll get along great with my betta and cardinals. Yeah my betta hates them and goes out of his way to make sure they know they’re disrespected. 

Third, I thought oh they’ll behave and just sit around and eat. Nope. Every 2 minutes one goes up like a ballistic missile breaching the surface from a nuclear attack sub. 

Fourth, okay I have the equivalent of squirrels in my tank so if they’re moving they’re happy. I come back from class and ones sitting still at the bottom for like 5 minutes with no movement at all. Well crap one died. I go to fish it out next to a very annoying Amazon Flame sword that for some reason decides to have 50 roots all 1/2 inch long so my cardinals could uproot it if they wanted too. I go to fish it out and boy there goes a torpedo. That causes me to slightly tap that damn plant and uproot it for the 7th time this week. 

Fifth, I finally got to sit and watch them and they’re kinda interesting. They hover in place and all their fins go crazy and from an angle they look like little fairies. 

Fingers crossed I still have them in the morning.

ps: the pics the best I could get with them flying around.

E96DBE7D-803F-4EA2-873E-8EC8CC129833.jpeg

Edited by lmhicks101
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I got 6 khuli loaches too and I thought they would be super timid and hide too. Yeah half did but the other half just sit up front. When the betta tried his whole biggest in the tank routine, they took it a little while but eventually 2 of them just head butted him and he hasn’t tired that again. I’m really looking forward to seeing this tank grow and mature. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@lmhicks101 I just got 7 pygmy Corydoras in today as well! I'm absolutely in love with them. They are too funny! All the charm of larger Corydoras in a teeny tiny little package. Mine are very small with some growing to do as well. Not much, but a little bit, anyway. They're in my quarantine tank for observation before I introduce them to my community tank. I can't wait to sit and watch their antics day in and day out in their new home once they clear quarantine! Congrats on your new fin babies!! Love your description of them! 🤣

• Haha 1

@Beccs410 that’s hilarious you got some today too. Mine have been at the fish store for 2 weeks before I got them to let my new tank cycle and introduce them all slowly. I’m still going to dose the whole tank on Saturday with the trio meds. I love them already. I really thought it would be the khulis I liked more but the Pygmy’s got me. Enjoy you’re little guys. 

• Love 1

Khulis are another one I have on my "Have to Own Someday" list! Mini danger noodles!!! That's awesome your LFS held them for you! I ordered mine online because I couldn't special order them from the one decent LFS near. me, nor could I find them at any stores near me right now ☹️ So, they must chill out for a bit in the QT. Easier for me to spot the little spazoids to keep an eye on them for awhile at least lol. 

They’re a newer store that’s only been open 6 months so I wanna support them and did a lot of my buying there so they helped me out. I honestly might go buy a few more they have left since they got a bit more incase some of mine died and other people might want some. I was originally only going to get 3 but people on here told me to get more and I’m not regretting it. 

Crack fairies?! That’s a great description for them. They’re a great fish and probably will end up being one of your favorites. The more the merrier with them their bioload is so small that it really won’t affect your tank much. 
The kuhlis are a trip they just show up all of a sudden and have a party then disappear again only to randomly show up again. I love it always a surprise! They do make a mess on occasion but just makes me do a better job of vacuuming the mulm. 

• Haha 1