$400 Kessil on a Nano tank

Patrick_G

On 10/13/2021 at 7:44 PM, Jeff said:

Looks great! Just be careful of algae, unless you have pressurized co2 running 

Sorry, just my idea of a joke! I agree, it does look good but isn’t really suitable for this tank. It’s almost 90 watts, while my Fluval Nano is 15 watts and set on 50%.  Now two of these on a 75 gal like @Jungle Fan’s tank would be perfect. 

I agree @Patrick_G it's a bit much for a Nano because even on my 75 gal I can't run them even anywhere near half power for too long. These Kessils in combination with CO2 grow plants like crazy, and I'm constantly pruning and giving away plants as is. The other part is that they use up the All-In-One real quick, and you need to keep supplying your plants with all they need, or algae will exploit all there is if the plants growth is limited by a needed fertilizer.

That said I love the Kessils, love the ease of programming with the controller, the different options of light, love the shimmer, the convenience of adjustment with the goosenecks, love that I don't have to worry about the plants. Once you've got your fertilization schedule and CO2 worked out these things work flawlessly. 

PS: Nice score for $30! Was that with gooseneck?

Edited by Jungle Fan
PS
  • Like 2

@Patrick_G that's a super sweet deal, with the gooseneck they are more of a close to $500 light but if you don't have a spectral X controller, or the dongle the programmability feature is closed off, those run around a $100. The shimmer is not dependent on brightness but on water movement, especially close to the surface, and will be especially dominant with surface agitation. If you get too much "disco" you can turn down the volume if you can down regulate flow a bit.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 10:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

On 10/14/2021 at 10:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Or it could be the answer to getting light to the bottom of one of these bad boys:

http://images.hayneedle.com/mgen/master:MWT011.jpg

I’ve wanted one of those since I was a kid. So cool, but so rough on the fish! 

On 10/13/2021 at 4:21 PM, Patrick_G said:

This is the light I got for $30 at the aquarium club auction. This is the lowest intensity.  I think it’s a bit to much for this little tank! 😆

21AC4D44-6B90-483C-8EBD-936CA821EEA8.jpeg.b5ee5990b9b65ff7edfedc4ad0ba18b6.jpeg

Oh myyyy!

Got algea yet?😳

Awesome looking light, though!

I like!

• Like 1