Betta bubble nests - how often?

Jawjagrrl

Just curious for those with Male bettas - how often does your betta blow a bubble nest and act like he is ready to be a papa?

I've got two that are about 6-7 months old. One has never blown a nest in the two months I have had them, while the other makes one almost every day/every other day (my avatar is the bubbler).

Still pretty new to bettas and wondering how my boys compare. They are both really nice looking and I think would produce good fry with the right female.

Folks in my area only see the occasional sad bettas in tiny cups, and would love to convince the local pet store to try some nice plakats in their community tanks. The owners are primarily about reptiles but I think open to getting better about their fish care/availability.

20211003_165408.jpg

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

Just curious for those with Male bettas - how often does your betta blow a bubble nest and act like he is ready to be a papa?

I've got two that are about 6-7 months old. One has never blown a nest in the two months I have had them, while the other makes one almost every day/every other day (my avatar is the bubbler).

Still pretty new to bettas and wondering how my boys compare. They are both really nice looking and I think would produce good fry with the right female.

Folks in my area only see the occasional sad bettas in tiny cups, and would love to convince the local pet store to try some nice plakats in their community tanks. The owners are primarily about reptiles but I think open to getting better about their fish care/availability.

20211003_165408.jpg

Got a photo to share of the non-bubble nest builder?

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 4:21 PM, Fish Folk said:

Got a photo to share of the non-bubble nest builder?

McQueen is my broody boy. Donald is a piece of work. Both were the result of auctions that were closing within the hour and had zero bids. I was the only bid for McQueen (my spouse's choice) and I wanted Donald. We didn't expect to win both auctions, but here they are.

SteveMcQueen.jpg

TheDonald.jpg

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 4

On 10/13/2021 at 7:52 PM, Fish Folk said:

Ok… in your tank? My reason for asking: if it’s a sneaker female, then of course we wouldn’t expect to see a bubble nest.

If you pickup a female to place adjacent, he might perk up.

Mine sometimes built under a floating dried Catappa leaf.

I see your point, especially since they are both plakats as it is - McQUeen was presented as a male for auction. I did have them in tanks side by side at first, and Donald would go bezerk when he saw McQueen. McQueen doesn't even flare for a mirror. I guess females can also be aggressive with tankmates like shrimp, etc? He/She is in with rasboras, not sure if that would serve as a deterrent to nest building.

I use aged magnolia leaves for hammocks, and he will hang out on there. I've seen some pretty females that look like both  of these, but I'd have to set up something else for her... tank no. 4 since this summer. Need to sell that one to the spouse a bit more, but with Donald building his nests right next to his recliner, he's making quite a case for it. 🙂 

20211003_164945.jpg

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:54 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

how often does your betta blow a bubble nest and act like he is ready to be a papa?

One of my spade-tail males builds continuously, his half of the tank always has a big nest in it. Another one did it just a couple of times (in ~8 months). 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 8:24 PM, Fish Folk said:

Here’s my little boy’s betta from awhile back.. 

He loved that Betta. Til the day he swung a bat in the room and shattered the front. 🤦‍♂️

He could be a fishy cousin 🙂 They are amazing little fish.

EDIT: just got to watch the video after getting all the animals fed - how awesome to see a Jr Nerm learning and enjoying! I would have loved a tank as a kid too. Great vid!

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2021 at 1:29 PM, StockEwe49 said:

I've only had a betta for a month and never seen him make a bubble nest, I am interested as well in this! I'm guessing what @Fish Folk said is very true. 

I think Donald, like my spouse, may me ADHD - he will work on a nest for a few minutes, the remember that the kuhlis might need investigating and mildly harrass them for a few minutes. Then a few loops through the "trees" and then he "oh yeahs" and goes back to his nest. His faux indignation is endlessly entertaining, especially now that the loaches are comfortable enough to start teasing him.

• Thanks 1