Storing baby brine in a very moist fridge

Hello everyone.  I’m curious if there is a concern in storing baby brine eggs in a very moist fridge.  I’ve got a cheap $30 mini fridge that always has some small pools of water in it.  I pulled out my baby brine eggs after almost 2 weeks in this fridge, and the containers wet and rusty.  Is this a concern? Or will the eggs keep dry in the packaging?

Thanks!

2411CC60-636C-418C-868A-0EFC98AE68CA.jpeg

On 10/13/2021 at 11:59 AM, SanFranPsychoAquatics said:

Hello everyone.  I’m curious if there is a concern in storing baby brine eggs in a very moist fridge.  I’ve got a cheap $30 mini fridge that always has some small pools of water in it.  I pulled out my baby brine eggs after almost 2 weeks in this fridge, and the containers wet and rusty.  Is this a concern? Or will the eggs keep dry in the packaging?

Thanks!

2411CC60-636C-418C-868A-0EFC98AE68CA.jpeg

That’s not good! I bet the seal on your fridge is bad.

If you keep Artemia cysts in the plastic zip-lock bag, it’s probably not a major issue. But if you empty them out into the can, I’d be very concerned.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:02 AM, Fish Folk said:

That’s not good! I bet the seal on your fridge is bad.

If you keep Artemia cysts in the plastic zip-lock bag, it’s probably not a major issue. But if you empty them out into the can, I’d be very concerned.

I keep them in the bag too.  This fridge is really cheap, only $30 bucks new.  I’m gonna buy another one and see if it has the same issue.

• Like 1

I kept BBS eggs (not from Aquarium Coop) in a freezer when I just started hatching them. It took me almost a year to use the package, and all was well and constant. Then I got lazy and put the new package (same brand, vendor, and container) next to the hatchery for easy access, at room temperature. After couple of months, the hatching rate started to decrease and the time to hatching started to increase. By the end of the package, I had to use twice the amount of eggs to get the same amount of live BBS, and it took ~48 hours instead of 18-24 to hatch.  The eggs developed quite a bit of smell, too. 

Could be just my eggs and/or conditions, but my BBS eggs are back into the freezer and going to stay there, dry and cold.