Apistogramma cacatuoides questions

tolstoy21

Couple of questions about the Apistogramma cacatuoides . . . 

What is a 'super red'? is that another way of saying either double red or triple red? Or is it some other red variant?

Do they have a specific substrate requirement, or are they more or less happy in any substrate as long as they have plants and wood and a cave and leaf litter etc? Or do they require sand or a small pebble size for a specific reason?

Most apistos like to dig a little but they do fine for me even in bare bottomed tanks. They also like to have some sort cave like area for breeding. And you nailed it on the super red, that just means 'some extra red'

It's been 15 years since I kept cacatuoides but I remember thinking 'these are not picky apistos'. It would be a good one to start with to begin breeding apistos.

I just had a pair shipped overnight to me on Monday (got them yesterday) from a shop in Oregon. These are the first Apistos that I've kept, definitely not my first dwarf cichlids (Keyholes are my favorites so far). Any advice that I give you on them is going to pretty much be stuff I've read online at this point, but I can show baby pictures, and who doesn't like baby pictures?

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

• Love 1

4 hours ago, tolstoy21 said:

Couple of questions about the Apistogramma cacatuoides . . . 

What is a 'super red'? is that another way of saying either double red or triple red? Or is it some other red variant?

Do they have a specific substrate requirement, or are they more or less happy in any substrate as long as they have plants and wood and a cave and leaf litter etc? Or do they require sand or a small pebble size for a specific reason?

I’ve kept them on gravel and on eco-complete substrate with no issues. Give them a couple of apisto caves to choose from with some plant cover and you’ll be good to go. Just an FYI while these guys are peaceful for the most part they’re still cichlids and can punch above their weight when they need to and like most cichlids they’re smart. Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

I’ve kept them on gravel and on eco-complete substrate with no issues. Give them a couple of apisto caves to choose from with some plant cover and you’ll be good to go. Just an FYI while these guys are peaceful for the most part they’re still cichlids and can punch above their weight when they need to and like most cichlids they’re smart. Good luck.

What is the current in ur tank trying to see if my fluval flex 15 is too much water movement for them have the outlet kinda like a wave maker 

24 minutes ago, Leo2o915 said:

What is the current in ur tank trying to see if my fluval flex 15 is too much water movement for them have the outlet kinda like a wave maker 

What size tank are you talking about here?