Nitrate Absorbing Resins

Mr Gumby

On 10/13/2021 at 8:58 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Hi folks,

I've seen a few adds lately for nitrate Absorbing Resins and was wondering if they're genuine or snake oil?

Nitrate from the tap is around 20ppm and I'm thinking of filtering it before adding to the tank on water changes

Thoughts??

tread carefully.  I have high nitrate source water. Awhile back I looked into a bunch of different nitrate removal products.  They all strip out calcium and other essential minerals. I found one that said it did not but within 2 weeks a very obvious negative impact was shown by my shrimp and snails. I stopped using immediately and did large water changes. 3 days everyone was back to normal. I don’t remember which I looked into but it was a bunch. I should have known the one claiming it didn’t would but I allowed my hopefulness to blind me. 

The only resin I'm familiar with is Purigen. It doesn't filter out nitrates. Rather, it filters out what leads to the creation of nitrates.

Having a substance that effectively decreases the production of nitrates has been great for keeping the water clear of white bacterial blooms and green algae "pea soup." I highly recommend it. 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:58 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Hi folks,

I've seen a few adds lately for nitrate Absorbing Resins and was wondering if they're genuine or snake oil?

Nitrate from the tap is around 20ppm and I'm thinking of filtering it before adding to the tank on water changes

Thoughts??

I think your situation may call for aggressive nitrate-using plants. My nitrates remain high in this super-overstocked Growout tank. I use Pothos in the two HOB filters, and Guppy grass (along with Java fern) in the tank.

A10C1442-F941-40EC-A758-9F5CF42AE81A.jpeg.5fad9cf5aaca05e7c23a0ef4eb04335d.jpeg

High nitrates aren’t the end of the line for most fish, though if they can be cut back, that’s advised.

• Like 2

Thanks all for your responses,

I do have plants but they're still growing in after a recent re-scape.

I also have quite a few Amano and cherry shrimp so after reading it can be detrimental to them I think I'll avoid the risk.

Helpful advice is what forums like this are for 👍

• Like 2