If this was your 40 gallon pond…

mynameisnobody

Hello all, I have a 40 gallon planted pond that is 40”l x 27”w x 13”h. Currently it houses 11 Gold white clouds and 1 long fin red bristlenose. What would you add to this if it were yours? I’ve gone back and forth with a ton of different ideas, but I want to know what the community says. Thank you kindly in advance. 

Kinda need to know what the temperature range will be, and whether you intend to net them all out and keep them inside during some portion of the year.

Maybe some other details, too. Do you want them to breed? Is your water particularly hard or soft? Got any predators around that you know of? Stuff like that.

• Like 1

@CalmedByFish The pond is actually in my living room, temp around 75-76. I live in Florida so it’s hard water. I’ve been thinking Apistogramma’s, but I’m not 100% sold yet. I am aware that they are softer water fish, however I’ve purchased tons of soft water fish from fish farms down here and they all were perfectly happy and healthy. 

On 10/12/2021 at 10:16 PM, Manny said:

@CalmedByFish The pond is actually in my living room, temp around 75-76. I live in Florida so it’s hard water. I’ve been thinking Apistogramma’s, but I’m not 100% sold yet. I am aware that they are softer water fish, however I’ve purchased tons of soft water fish from fish farms down here and they all were perfectly happy and healthy. 

Ah! My entire knowledge of apistogrammas is that they are, indeed, fish. 

The hard water thing makes sense. Fish seem to be decently suited to what they had to adjust to at birth. 

I guess I'll just add that if you've been feeling joyful about apistos for a long time, pretty consistently favoring them over other options, that's a pretty good indicator that you won't regret getting them. 

• Like 2