iron supplement

Hi All,

I have started dosing my tank with EasyIron about a week and a half ago (1 pump per 10 gal, 3x/week). I just ran an iron test and it's showing pretty much 0. Validate the test is correct. Was just wondering if there is a safe level to add to the tank until I get the iron levels higher than my plants are absorbing them. Is daily dosing ok? More? Less?

Thanks,
Jay

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 6:02 PM, jaycolucci said:

Hi All,

I have started dosing my tank with EasyIron about a week and a half ago (1 pump per 10 gal, 3x/week). I just ran an iron test and it's showing pretty much 0. Validate the test is correct. Was just wondering if there is a safe level to add to the tank until I get the iron levels higher than my plants are absorbing them. Is daily dosing ok? More? Less?

Thanks,
Jay

Opening admission: I don’t have the answer! But a couple months ago, I visited a small aquaponics operation up in PA. I learned that the key missing ingredient for their plants (mostly lettuce) was iron. Their water was tinted very dark - like heavy in tannins - and the farmer told me that was due to the iron supplements. The fish used for nitrate fuel were tilapia and some blue gills. 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

update. i've been dosing daily for four weeks. i'm still not measuring any appreciable iron in the tank. is it just that my plants are absorbing it all? could there be anything else in my tank absorbing the iron? I'm planning to start increasing the dosage again this week.