Dr. Tim’s Fishless Cycle

Spoolin

Hi everyone-

Sorry to bring up another topic about fishless cycling to this group, but I have a question about Dr. Tim’s Fishless Cycle.

I used the Dr. Tim’s fishless cycle method this time around and all my ammonia and nitrites have dropped to 0 after about 3 weeks and was left with Nitrates. 

I did the “final test” and added my Ammonia drops to see if everything will read 0 after 24 hours. Unfortunately after 24 hours I still had 1ppm of ammonia and about 2ppm of nitrites. Does this mean I still need to wait for everything to drop to 0 and perform another 24 hour test? Or could I add fish in after everything drops back to 0.

Thank you! Appreciate any feedback.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:37 PM, Spoolin said:

Unfortunately after 24 hours I still had 1ppm of ammonia and about 2ppm of nitrites.

Fishless just takes a bit longer.  What's your pH?  I find that Dr. Tims works fine but it all varies a bit based on pH.  Higher pH helps, and nitrite degrading bacteria take longer to build up populations.  If you don't know, it doesn't really matter.  Seems like you are well on your way.  Next time add a drop or two.  See what happens.  You are testing and cycling.  You are way ahead of the game.  Nicely done!