Current heater recommendations?

NetBelleAnie

I need a new heater for my 20 gallon aquarium before things start getting much colder. (Fishtanks are at the end of a hallway with no door, so can't heat the room area).  Our indoor temperature is currently getting down to 64F and the tank seems to be staying around 68-70 on a good day, but I'd rather it be at least 76.  Tank is for growing out guppies, and housing my snails and shrimp, with a medium Coop sponge filter. 

Any recommendations for what heaters are currently available?  Brands and types?

On 10/12/2021 at 10:29 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Eheim Jager are the only kind I will buy. They are all unreliable, but these have done well for me.

@Mmiller2001I have two 25W Eheim Jager heaters that I bought last year, ran for four months, took out and stored through the summer, and now neither of them will turn on when I put them back in the tank and plug them in. Is there a trick for that particular type of heater? Is this normal?

On 10/12/2021 at 10:13 AM, Ragnarok12 said:

@Mmiller2001I have two 25W Eheim Jager heaters that I bought last year, ran for four months, took out and stored through the summer, and now neither of them will turn on when I put them back in the tank and plug them in. Is there a trick for that particular type of heater? Is this normal?

Sadly, they are all junk. But the jagers have been the least troublesome. Check the tops and make sure the calibration notch is not blocking it from turning on.

• Like 1

I buy the cheapest one available that Ideally has 3.7+ stars. All of my heaters were either bought this way or came with a all in one kit (so the cheapest pieces of junk) and well they work. I have had most of them for over a year and they seem to be just as good as the expensive ones. 

Honestly, for a cheap heater I am liking the Nicrew one with a remote or external means to adjust.  They display the numbers nice and large, so I don't have to get my readers out to check the temperature.  And fairly inexpensive on Amazon.  Only downside is that heaters have a good chance to take a hit in shipping and not work.  

I am not sure what temp you keep your room and what temp you want to keep your tank, but you should be somewhere inbetween a 50watt and a 100watt heater.

https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Submersible-Temperature-Adjustable-Controller/dp/B08GXBGW65/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nicrew%2Bheater&qid=1634150174&sr=8-3&th=1

Edited by Ben_RF

Are there any options designed such that they can't fail in an ON state?

I typically buy undersized heaters for my tanks, and I've had good luck with Jagers and Finnex M heaters, but after picking up some semi-expensive fish I'm now paranoid about cooking them. My house stays at a pretty consistent 71-72F, so failing in an off state isn't the end of the world for the fish I keep. None of 'em would make it if a heater pushed things into the 90s.

I've been agonizing about replacing the heater for a few days now and found the titanium Bulk Reef Supply heating elements. They don't come with an internal temperature controller and rely entirely on an Inkbird or other temp controller. They're significantly more expensive than off-the-shelf heaters, but they seem built around typical failure points. Anyone have experience with them?

On 10/13/2021 at 2:59 PM, Schwack said:

found the titanium Bulk Reef Supply heating elements

I have a BRS heater.  It seems better built than some of the others I've had which, were they not plugged into a GFCI outlet, would have electrocuted my fish.  The BRS are $$$$, but I'm hoping I get what I pay for.  So far so good with the one I have.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 1:59 PM, Schwack said:

Are there any options designed such that they can't fail in an ON state?

I typically buy undersized heaters for my tanks, and I've had good luck with Jagers and Finnex M heaters, but after picking up some semi-expensive fish I'm now paranoid about cooking them. My house stays at a pretty consistent 71-72F, so failing in an off state isn't the end of the world for the fish I keep. None of 'em would make it if a heater pushed things into the 90s.

I've been agonizing about replacing the heater for a few days now and found the titanium Bulk Reef Supply heating elements. They don't come with an internal temperature controller and rely entirely on an Inkbird or other temp controller. They're significantly more expensive than off-the-shelf heaters, but they seem built around typical failure points. Anyone have experience with them?

I use Inkbirds and I would never note have them. They have saved my tanks several times.