Angelfish Identification

Del

More than a year ago I bought this group of angelfish. They were sold to me as ‘Peru Altum Angels’. Is this correct? They never gotten to the height of an Altum. They are about 6-7 inches.  

I have a breeding pair in the group, maybe I’m putting the pair in a separate tank. But first I want to be shure what I’breeding. 5494FD93-3B40-4E37-902A-554A5162EE53.jpeg.2ee83ed0d8aa682a8742dad998c03cd9.jpegCC200DAB-EC2B-4597-BF9B-95B3CD20F468.jpeg.00f4253e83b67bca49ee400753f69266.jpeg5BB6F520-F707-42E6-AEF5-EAB8DBCEA693.jpeg.dd53d31a679ee2477f0143a255694de9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@Colu thanks for the info. Do you know something about growth rate of altums? Mine are about 6 to 7 inch and I have them  1,5 year. Will they grow further? Or are they probably a bit stunted? 

Edited by Del

I have domestic angels not pervian altum but my understanding they are similar. Most of the growth occurs the first 2 years but they do continue to grow after that abit a lot slower. I have one extremely large male (he is the son of some other angels I have) but most of them are smaller. This one fellow is nearly 8 inches top to bottom at 1.3 year - he is also fat but i can't put him on a diet without starving everyone else ... so there is that problem. Thankfully he is extremely passive - it is the smallest one that is a royal pia bully; small but bites hard and short temperered.

Edited by anewbie
  • Thanks 1

The term "Peruvian altum" is used quite often for a fish that is not a true Pterophyllum altum angelfish. The name Peruvian altum is commonly used to describe a type locality of the scalare angelfish. Right now, there are three described species of angelfish, the scalare, which is the most common and what all the color varieties are, the altum and the leopoldi, but there are several scientists that believe there may be more, or there are at least several type variants throughout the Amazon basin, this being one, and the Amapa redback is another. 

The Peruvian altums are beautiful fish, I have a small group that I have growing out and plan to put in with my wild discus when they get bigger. I have had some before that were wild caught and they never got the height of a true altum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/12/2021 at 5:21 PM, Andy's Fish Den said:

The Peruvian altums are beautiful fish, I have a small group that I have growing out and plan to put in with my wild discus when they get bigger. I have had some before that were wild caught and they never got the height of a true altum. 

I’d sure love to see some photos of your group. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:57 PM, Del said:

More than a year ago I bought this group of angelfish. They were sold to me as ‘Peru Altum Angels’. Is this correct? They never gotten to the height of an Altum. They are about 6-7 inches.  

I have a breeding pair in the group, maybe I’m putting the pair in a separate tank. But first I want to be shure what I’breeding. 5494FD93-3B40-4E37-902A-554A5162EE53.jpeg.2ee83ed0d8aa682a8742dad998c03cd9.jpegCC200DAB-EC2B-4597-BF9B-95B3CD20F468.jpeg.00f4253e83b67bca49ee400753f69266.jpeg5BB6F520-F707-42E6-AEF5-EAB8DBCEA693.jpeg.dd53d31a679ee2477f0143a255694de9.jpeg

They are beautiful, and your tank(s) are exceptionally excellent! I love the Apistos and Rummynose mixed in. Superb arrangement.

• Like 1

Btw this is a warning i read elsewhere; but I noticed you have a pleco cave under some rocks. The risk is if you have more than one male pleco; one male can trap another and kill it in those things. It is really adequate I think to have the rocks cross as long as it is stable and let the pleco make its own cave in the sand. Mine dig under driftwood for their cave. It was kind of annoying because they dug in one spot and made a mess but then hit a bunch of plant roots so they dug in another and so forth. Eventually they found a nice spot; and i cleaned up all the fail starts; in another tank i had a pleco use a coconut shell for his cave but he dug a hole in the back so he could get out if the front was ever trapped. Smart little critter.

Edited by anewbie

On 10/12/2021 at 11:21 PM, Andy's Fish Den said:

Thanks for the info! I have seen this combination in a LFS and it was striking! It was a big tank, heavy planted, a lot of driftwood and 10 wild discuss and 10 big altums. I was like 'shut up and take my money'. To bad I don't have that kind of money or the space..

On 10/12/2021 at 11:43 PM, anewbie said:

Btw this is a warning i read elsewhere; but I noticed you have a pleco cave under some rocks. The risk is if you have more than one male pleco; one male can trap another and kill it in those things. 

Thanks for the advice, never heard this before. Is the aggression between males also an issue between different types of pleco's? I now have a Royal Pleco, Green phantom and a bristelnose in there. I'm thinking about getting an extra gold nugget. 

On 10/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, Del said:

Thanks for the info! I have seen this combination in a LFS and it was striking! It was a big tank, heavy planted, a lot of driftwood and 10 wild discuss and 10 big altums. I was like 'shut up and take my money'. To bad I don't have that kind of money or the space..

Thanks for the advice, never heard this before. Is the aggression between males also an issue between different types of pleco's? I now have a Royal Pleco, Green phantom and a bristelnose in there. I'm thinking about getting an extra gold nugget. 

Depends on the species; planetcatfish.com has a good description of most pleco and if they are strongly territorial. The person who ran into this problem had a breeding setup for L134 and two males decided they wanted the same cave. Vaguely I think gold nugget can be quite territorial but you should double check. It might also come down to individual fish behavior but again it is almost certainly going to be limited to males so just buy females 😉