Fish facts

BMoreHokie

I am running a 75g community aquarium consisting of Roseline Sharks,  Celestial Pearl Danios, Neon Green Tetra, otocinclus, kuhli loaches, and forktail rainbowfish.  I am in the process of adding fish that are on the $$$$$$ side of the spectrum.  When looking at fish, water quality and parameters are all over the place depending on where you look on the internet. My question, is there a reliable site, or a favorite site by the forum,  that I can use to make sure I am not purchasing fish that will thrive/or not, due to pre- existing water parameters. I would hate to put a fish into a hopeless situaion.

20211010_010313.jpg

• Like 1

Fishbase.org is fairly reliable for water parameter information. Hopefully you know the scientific name of the species you are looking up as it'll make that search alot easier. 

There are more than a few species that have wildly differing views on their husbandry, I try to stick to scientific articles when that's the case. But given how dense and exhausting it is to read those, I do like to default to seriouslyfish. They seem to present good information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I will definately look there.  I keep a fish log than charts all of the important parameters, and it would be good to consolidate.  I have a small community fish tank, but I would like to add some rare plecos like an L-046 zebra plecos, but its health is mosre important than having him. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/10/2021 at 1:27 AM, BMoreHokie said:

Thanks, I will definately look there.  I keep a fish log than charts all of the important parameters, and it would be good to consolidate.  I have a small community fish tank, but I would like to add some rare plecos like an L-046 zebra plecos, but its health is mosre important than having him. 

@Biotope Biologisthas some really good suggestions, and it sounds like you really care and want what’s best for the fish. I try to research multiple sites, videos, and forums because of the vast range of information. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2021 at 7:06 AM, Atitagain said:

@Biotope Biologisthas some really good suggestions, and it sounds like you really care and want what’s best for the fish. I try to research multiple sites, videos, and forums because of the vast range of information. 

^ This!

There is no one good resource for information in this hobby. There are so few facts in fishkeeping - if there's one way to do something, someone else has probably figured out 5 different ways to get that same result. You just need to figure out which way you like best. Gathering all the information you can from different places will get you the best chance of finding methods you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like using "Tropical fish magazine", The Coops youtube videos and online care guides, also aquarium source, and fish laboratory are pretty good. And if you can try to find some Aquarium keeping books, they generally have info about different species in there. And be sure to not just take one sources opinion but cross them all with each other and see what the common consensus is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1