Aquariums in Movies and Television

Fish Folk

At feeding time the Tinfoil Barbs can recreate a scene from any of the Piranha series of movies.  I've recently discovered that when spooked, in addition to their jumping ability, they can batter down the tank partition. I guess they might also qualify for a role in Mega Piranha.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Someplace on the Forum last year, I thought someone had started a thread about aquariums in movies. Was just rewatching “The Love Bug” (1968) and noticed a funny Goldfish tank scene…

I have a theory that maybe this tank was made from an old gravity glass / visible gas pump. Or perhaps some oddball glass cylinder attached to an antique car.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 5

It seemed for a while that everyone was trying to create more oddly shaped fish tanks. There are still some available. You could buy a toilet tank fish tank that would house fish in a tank within the clear toilet tank or inside a clear bathroom sink. All kinds of wall hung aquariums were around. Bettas in bowls hanging from macrame hangers were popular for a while. If there was a way to build something to hold water, someone would put fish in it.

R (2).jpeg

R (1).jpeg

• Haha 2

On 10/10/2021 at 8:55 AM, gardenman said:

It seemed for a while that everyone was trying to create more oddly shaped fish tanks. There are still some available. You could buy a toilet tank fish tank that would house fish in a tank within the clear toilet tank or inside a clear bathroom sink. All kinds of wall hung aquariums were around. Bettas in bowls hanging from macrame hangers were popular for a while. If there was a way to build something to hold water, someone would put fish in it.

R (2).jpeg

R (1).jpeg

I remember seeing the “toilet tank” on a video of the Wessel house.

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2021 at 2:17 AM, drewzero1 said:

I'd be interested to see it from the other side, since it kind of looks like it extends farther back. Either way I have to imagine a tank like that is a real pain to keep clean.

Yeah, maybe it goes longer. But I think it was maybe designed to cram in that notch in the kitchen wall. I’m not really sure how you’d get into it to feed or maintenance.

The _only_ time we ever made a tall tank work effectively for us was as a BNP Growout.

3550CEE5-0412-4F4F-87D9-E2CA640CF4D6.jpeg.57cb50700fc21e099a95ff0c1dc82bbf.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk