How do you set up a new scape?

DannyBWell

On 10/11/2021 at 8:14 PM, Streetwise said:

Go for it @Ken! I have some ideas about certain grass-type plants, and I have re-read multiple chapters from Diana Walstad, but I am still a student on this topic.

I believe we are all students on this topic. I'll think of a suitable intro and how to get the discussion underway.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:02 PM, Ken said:

We need a thread about Alleopathy

Oh, my head already hurts!  Even scientists have trouble identifying and correctly assessing allelopathy.  I'm going to look like such a bad guy on this thread (I've been a bad guy on this topic for grad students and as a reviewer for scientific journal articles, so why stop there I guess).  😒  I apologize in advance.

Edited by OnlyGenusCaps
Somehow everything triple copied. Deleted the extra stuff.
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 8:35 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Oh, my head already hurts!  Even scientists have trouble identifying and correctly assessing allelopathy.  I'm going to look like such a bad guy on this thread (I've been a bad guy on this topic for grad students and as a reviewer for scientific journal articles, so why stop there I guess).  😒  I apologize in advance.

You're input will be greatly appreciated. Even my favorite terrestrial example (the Utah Juniper) is dismissed by Botanists as not allelopathic, but my eyes say otherwise. This ought to be fun. I promise no hurt feelers. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 10:02 PM, Ken said:

We need a thread about Alleopathy. We probably have one of the largest discussion groups of knowledgeable aquarium plant keepers there has ever been. You want to start it or should I?

I have recently been reading up on this and would love to see some discussion on people’s experiences 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 5:29 PM, Alison said:

At this point in the process much swearing and alcohol is involved.

I thought this was a valuable part of all creative processes?

I know not everyone includes the alcohol, but the swearing I believe is a must. I was told there was a study linking swearing to creative intelligence quotient. 

Especially if any amount of visual art is involved. 

On 10/11/2021 at 6:05 PM, Odd Duck said:

Sometimes it’s starts with, or evolves around, finding a great rock or a great piece or pieces of wood.  Sometimes I deliberately look for specific types of wood or rocks.  Sometimes I pick out a piece of wood but it didn’t work for that tank (14 G cube - still in process), so I bought a different piece of wood (both were from that online seller).  Then I have a leftover piece of wood for another tank (left side of the 29 G will be puffers).  😃 😊 😀 

Which is how we justify another tank, yes?

On 10/11/2021 at 6:23 PM, Streetwise said:

My style is organic topsoil with a thin cap, gravel more recently, but I have used sand

I want to know how thin a cap.

I did 2" topsoil (3" at the back of the tank) capped with 1" sand.

MTS and blackworms are feeling quite satisfied with themselves, as they have completely rescaped the tank👀

I have almost finished collecting items for my 4' dining room tank.

In true Josh Sims style (aka utilizing my expensive NCSA art degree [that I never got a job with after school😳] to create the illusion of depth), my thickest wood, largest rocks, and boldest pieces are going to be upfront. 

I'm still playing with ideas on my planters in other tanks, so not quite ready to add water yet, but broad leafed plants will be in front and the plants will get finer leaves/thinner/more delicate as they move to the back (milfoil is definitely going in the back).

Goal is to create illusion of a meandering path from front/off center, to the back right corner. 

I have a lovely piece of mopani wood with a hollow knot space, that will be situated so you can "peer through the knothole" and see a miniature world on the other side. 

At least, that's the current ideal, we will see if I successfully pull it off next year 😅

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I drew another one out. I’m liking this process I know what materials I have and sketch out a couple rough ideas then pick the one I’m feeling and add detail and yes my final drawing is rough as well I know…I mean it’s in crayon 🥴(love it)3CC882BF-05D4-43E9-80B6-206B07F7ADE6.jpeg.35dff15eec0782d232bbd7ebeadfeec7.jpeg25CF3516-44DC-424C-AB56-69A2609DB08D.jpeg.bfd896751d3c0b8a07dd912b273def3d.jpeg

Then I winged this one. I was gonna go more individual with the stones but I started to stack a couple and just went with it. HOB is just helping finish up the cycle. And I have more plants on order for front right.085EBA4E-53E9-4AE6-857D-6A4BCFDD3F08.jpeg.c1eabab9bd8b93c7223fbf76a9240fec.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm all impulse and response. Many years of " that will look cool in there" followed nope the fish are throwing it around. 

Now I've moved to tiny fish I'm getting used to being able to keep plants and structures in there . No fixed plan more constant evolution. 

@Atitagain you should keep a your drawings with a photo of the finished tank it would be a great tank diary

• Like 3