Are you a salty person?

Robert

I have been tempted by salty tanks however I have decided that they are best left until I am retired and I have more time on my hands.  I also like holidays and I believe they aren't the best set ups to be left in the hands of a fish sitter. 

But I would love to keep a reef scape I think anemones are beautiful.  And live rock is fascinating. But as yet I haven't even done any  research. 

On 10/28/2021 at 3:57 PM, Robert said:

Update on how my build is going. Swapped out the 30 inch stingray with a Fluval Marine 3.0 24 inch. Still tweaking the color spectrum a little bit. 

It’s looking good. Is there anything special you look for when buying live rock? 

@Patrick_GTechinally this tank is not live rock I am using a first for me Carib Sea Life Rock which is aragonite rock made to look live. Supposedly it has "painted on bacteria" to help seed your tank. Also should do better on not having a algae explosion. Right now Live Rock is ridiculous expensive with the air freight way down. But if I was buying live rock in the past I look for stuff that has some color, little to none algae, no pest etc though that last part isn't a guarantee as some of the buggars burrow deep into rock.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@eatyourpeasits not bad, I certainly recommend it if your tank has a small AIO filter area or don't mind seeing it inside your tank. Makes a very watery skimate though. Its a Reef Glass nano skimmer. Currently running the USB nano air pump to run it. You have to DIY the collection cup which was easy. Supposedly rated up to 30 gallons. I like the sleek look of it and overall it runs fairly quietly.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 10:21 AM, Robert said:

@eatyourpeasits not bad, I certainly recommend it your tank has a small AIO filter area or don't mind seeing it inside your tank. Makes a very water skimate though. Its a Reef Glass nano skimmer. Currently running the USB nano air pump to run it. You have to DIY the collection cup which was easy. Supposedly rated up to 30 gallons. I like the sleek look of it.

Ah, yes. I modelled mine after that skimmer, but instead of adding a cup I put two waste lines of airline tubing draining into the sump via a 50 micron sock. No need to clean a cup, and it can clean quite efficiently. I do have an ACO USB nano air pump as well, with a limewood airstone. I don't mind seeing it because it is starting to gunk up and become a site for macro algae and mussels. I also allow some bubbles to escape from the bottom so they can be pushed by the ACO powerhead and simulate tidal oxygen. The critters love it!

They are easy to make, BTW.

Edited by eatyourpeas

If I recall reading it correctly but I believe air powered skimmers actually add a lot of dissolved oxygen in the aquarium and yes I get some that escape and my tunze filter will collect it and occasionally burp out them after a while. 

• Like 1

Lookin great! I’ve had my first feed tank for almost 11 months now and it’s been going well! Had mostly success with coral, Altho my mantis shrimp is determined not to let Blastomussa join that list 😅😅 been mainly zoas and some mushrooms other than that. I also have a purple spotted mantis shrimp which is the star of the show. My zoas could be doing a bit better but I could also be doing more water changes 😅😅

10647464-0953-4092-AF04-5280E20DB2B3.jpeg

FB7BA33A-20F1-45E7-91DF-2385D366145D.jpeg

B751626A-1F3A-41A0-B8E2-17A821EE1694.jpeg

• Like 3

@Steph’s Fish and PlantsHow did you get your mantis shrimp and what's your thoughts on it as a pet? I assume purchased but if it was a hitch hiker awesome score! I always had interest in a Mantis shrimp but was curious if its like keeping certain tarantulas in that its basically a pet hole that comes out really quickly to feed and that's about it. Was curious if they interact with you. I remember watching a documentary on them and I felt like they have fairly good intelligence.

Edited by Robert

• 3 months later...
On 10/9/2021 at 12:00 PM, GameCzar said:

Nope, not going to do it.  You guys aren't going to make me get into saltwater.   No sir, you can't make me!

shannon-sharpe-shay.gif

I love big public aquariums, other NERM setups and always admire salt tanks out and about. 

But as much as I love fish (even over plants and scaping), I've never been tempted to do salt. So expensive and with so many amazing freshwater species to keep over a lifetime....

I LOVE looking at salt water tanks.  I don't love the price 😭.

In any case yours is looking good! 

If I win the lottery I'm getting a reef tank and paying a guy to keep it looking good.  I feel like corals and the weird invertebrates add a new dimension of things to look at in a detailed way.