Are you a salty person?

Robert

Just curious who all here on the forum keep marine tanks. Can be FOWLR or Reef. Pico to large tanks. I have been keeping marine for the past 20 years with back and forth interest. Recently just redid my 29 gallon aquarium to become marine (don't worry I still run freshwater tanks in my home, wife even wanted one in our newborns room). Running this marine build a little bit old school. Please show your builds if you can ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 4

I kept a 29g Biocube reef many moons ago. Bought my pre-made salt and RODI water from my LFS always. Was fairly easy. Sold it, and bought a 75g reef ready tank with sump. Kept buying gear for it, and it felt like there was no end in sight for gear to ever get it up and running.ย 

I enjoy watching FW videos about how to keep certain fish, plants, inverts instead of seeing reef videos about tech all the time.ย 

Turned in all my gear for store credit: RODI unit, tank, stand, refractometer, skimmer, heater, and a bunch of other things for a brand new 90g Marineland tank/stand combo at my LFS to set up a discus tank.

Some day I'll get an all-in-one reef tank set up again. But DIY reefs require too much tech.ย 

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iโ€™m currently working on setting up my first salty tank for a Green Spotted Puffer.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:01 PM, Robert said:

Recently just redid my 29 gallon aquarium to become marine (don't worry I still run freshwater tanks in my home, wife even wanted one in our newborns room). Running this marine build a little bit old school. Please show your builds if you can ๐Ÿ™‚

Weโ€™d love to see some pics!ย 

• Like 4

I recently got back into reef keeping a few months ago. I need to take an updated picture but here it is a couple months in:

44010A2E-3FB5-4B5E-B647-852EF6EAF0ED.jpeg.f03e6bcad04e27dc53734ba05a2fd939.jpeg

This is only my second reef tank ever though, my first one was a 10 gallon that I had 10 years ago (I was only 15 years old at the time and I know better now, fish selection was not great haha):

22F1D14D-ABCC-4E88-BC99-9AC41E676876.jpeg.e328425ff98f70fe82fe55b6698878e2.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

My SW tank is definitely not a reef. No offense, but reefs are like screen savers to me, so I do not find them interesting.

My Puget Sound Biotope build is in my signature, but here is a summary:

- Built the tank from scratch in order to accommodate temperate requirements, used 1" think acrylic on sides, 3/4" on top, 3/8" on bottom. Lids slide out of the way without needing to disturb light. Tank is 47 x 15 x 15 inches. There is an internal skimmer powered by a nano air pump. No powerheads as they add heat, so filter is providing the water current.

- Designed and built a vertical sump for filtration due to space limitations.

- Filtered water goes through a chiller before reaching the tank.

- All critters were collected locally.

Water changes once a month, 20% using ocean water (I have yet to mix my own saltwaterย ๐Ÿ™„)

I do not clean algae as they provide food for the critters, but there isn't much anyway. Limpets do a great job at keeping the glass clean.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 4

On 10/9/2021 at 11:43 AM, Isaac M said:

@quirkylemon103ย I made the lid for my 40 breeder reef out of a polycarbonate greenhouse panel. It works great, there is hardly any evaporation so my salinity stays consistent(I don't have an auto top-off). I would highly recommend it if you need a special size or shape aquarium lid.ย 

something like this?

ย 687814322_Screenshot2021-10-09122826.png.57d0fe66d3756012929990e85ae31c34.png

@quirkylemon103ย yes exactly like that. I am not home right now but this is the best picture I have on my phone of it:

6A3E53A1-0E3E-44B7-834E-8ABAC7DDE937.jpeg.1b4323ce1619cb3cb9de5a83285af7c8.jpeg

@Robertย a zoa garden is always cool and you can always do GSP encrusted on the back wall. All I do is softies because I love the color, movement and ease of care. For me, I do not think I could ever do a FOWLR (unless it is some sort of predator aquarium). It would be like doing a freshwater aquarium without plants, it just does not feel right to me hahaย 

• Like 3

On 10/9/2021 at 10:57 AM, Robert said:

I originally had plans for my tank to be FOWLR but debating on maybe doing some softies but not get to crazy on them. I love GSP and yes I know its a weed but its always been my favorite. That and zoanthids..

I think GSP and some nice macro algae would make a nice โ€œnature aquariumโ€ aquascape look.

ย 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've kept marine tanks for the last 15 years or so. I had a nice 75 gallon reef that I started back then, full of nice SPS and LPS corals, but an unfortunate dosing accident while on vacation left 95% of it dead, and since then I have had other tanks, but I haven't kept many corals since, just some zoas and aptasia LOL. Right now I have a FOWLR 20 gallon that only has a pair of frostbite clowns and some shrimp and hermit crabs. Maybe one day I will set up another reef tank.