Why did my plants die back for so long?

So earlier this year I set up a 29g and got dwarf sag, scarlet temple, red flame sword, Amazon sword, and a Lily bulb. The scarlet temple ended up completely dying over a couple months not enough light I think but everything(except for the Lily bulb it always did well) else just kind of dwindled it was neither dying nor growing and it was about the 3 month mark when I was about to give up everything just started growing like crazy and now it's unstoppable. I know Cory says it can take up to 6 weeks for die back to turn around but 3 months seemed a little extreme. Can it really take that long or were my plants an extreme?

20211008_103602.jpg

This question always bothered me yet I couldn't find an answer. I've always chalked it up to it being the tanks "season", for me tanks always seam to cycle between: thriving -> die back -> dormancy -> re-growth....
 Rinse and repeat

I'm guessing it more depends on tank season like what @JoeQ said but it probably also has to do with your water parameters, like minerals, maybe they weren't getting something they really needed? Where you ever using fertilizer and what is your water like? I'm curious to what others will say on this as well!

Just to be clear, the "tank season" is only a theory from my own observations, & in my corner of the world. It could more accurately simply be how they condition our water, spring vs fall or house climate Ac usage vs heat, or some other factor outside of my control 

My swords didn't really start growing like crazy until just recently, about ten months later, so I think there are a lot of factors that contribute to how well and how quickly they take hold and every tank is different. The most important ingredient in the plant mix is patience. 😊

• Like 2

I think that plants can and sometimes do go into a dormant state for a variety of reasons.  My snail dipped Anubia did not die back, but it took 6 months to add the next leaf. I have/had plants die back and remain alive but dormant for over a year.  It happens.

• Like 1