Green neon tetras in QT—lost most of them why?

Nanci B

Hey everyone, 

I have been searching for months for green neon tetras.  I love them and found 10 last weekend. I lost one on the way home in the bag, but didn’t want to deal with the store that’s over an hour away. 

Anyway, the 10 gallon QT tank has only had loose floating plants with bladder snails for a while. I changed out half the water, added a nano sponge filter which has been in another tank and tested the water. All seemed fine. Added the fish. Lost 2 overnight. Another water test, and finally grabbed my liquid ammonia test. The ammonia was between 0-25. So another water change and all these time used Prime when doing water changes. I have removed/killed all the bladder snails I can. 

over the past several days I have lost one or 2 per day. I am now down to two fish. Something is dreadfully wrong and I can’t figure out what it is. This is heartbreaking. 

since I’ve been using Prime with every water change, doesn’t that affect test results, particularly ammonia? 

Can anyone please help me figure out what am I doing wrong? And how I can fix this? 

Very depressed, Nanci

• Sad 1

Besides erratic swimming, no.

I am going to a fish auction this Saturday and was waiting to start med trio until I added the new fish. I am now considering putting any new fish in a tank I was planning on breaking down but is still fully planted and stable. 

@Scapeghost I thought losing one in the bag suggested stress. 

Gosh Nanci, that's terrible, I'm so sorry. Having lost 1 in the bag on the way home I suspect it's nothing you did. I've never had .25 ammonia tests kill any fish- though I'm sure it didn't help. I'm wondering if the flashing/erratic swimming is a parasite or gill fluke. The QT tank they were in was stable/running/cycled?

I'm thinking Nanci that it's something to do with the neons themselves. Yes *maybe* the tank has/had an issue but clearly since 1 died on the way home there was already a problem. People QT all the time in a plain plastic tub with no cycled material sometimes. If I were in your shoes I'd treat my remaining Neon with a parasitic medication. I personally use Seachem's Paraguard but there are others out there. I would make sure it would treat most parasitic infections and include things like Ich and Gill Flukes (which can't be seen externally).

Continuing to use Prime and doing testing/water changes and redosing when necessary would not be a bad thing either. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

I am sorry for your loss. Erratic swimming is a sign of ammonia poisoning which can present days to weeks after the poisoning event. I suspect they were poisoned while being shipped to the LFS which happens quite often. The event of being re-netted and bagged stressed the fish and was enough to push the first over the edge in the bag to your home. .25 ammonia is not the culprit however if they were poisoned prior to you purchasing it will greatly stress them further.  Keep your water very clean and ammonia free (and detoxified between times you are able to change) and nitrite free low as possible nitrates with plenty of water changes 2-3 times a day if need is the best method I have found to help the survivors recover when I have encountered this. Best of luck I hope some survive and then thrive for you. Edit…I would hold off on any medication as that will stress them even further. Meds are hard on them. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

@xXInkedPhoenixXand @Guppysnail—would you feel comfortable putting other new fish in that qt tank with the neons?

I’m buying some new fish and plants at our local club’s big auction this Saturday and I don’t have another qt tank. I do have anther established tank that I am selling all the shrimp in it which only leaves snails and plants but I was planning  on doing the med trio. These new fish are all coming from local breeders. 

I feel like I am playing musical tanks.  And I am running out of seeded sponge filters.  🤦🏻‍♀️

On 10/8/2021 at 10:10 AM, Nanci B said:

@xXInkedPhoenixXand @Guppysnail—would you feel comfortable putting other new fish in that qt tank with the neons?

I’m buying some new fish and plants at our local club’s big auction this Saturday and I don’t have another qt tank. I do have anther established tank that I am selling all the shrimp in it which only leaves snails and plants but I was planning  on doing the med trio. These new fish are all coming from local breeders. 

I feel like I am playing musical tanks.  And I am running out of seeded sponge filters.  🤦🏻‍♀️

I would not put new fish in with fish that are high risk for being sick.

The locally purchased fish I would be more OK with putting them in the snail and plant tank since they shouldn’t need the med trio (depending somewhat on species and history), just close observation for a month.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:39 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I agree with @Guppysnail if it is ammonia poisoning more meds will only hurt them more. Can you call the fish store and ask them how long they had them? 

And maybe ask them if they had any losses maybe they had more than 10 to begin with? Sorry for your loss that really stinks.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:13 AM, Odd Duck said:

I would not put new fish in with fish that are high risk for being sick.

The locally purchased fish I would be more OK with putting them in the snail and plant tank since they shouldn’t need the med trio (depending somewhat on species and history), just close observation for a month.

I agree these fish are already stressed and weak. Just the new addition stress may tip them over. Coupled with no immunity to fight whatever may come with the new fish is just not a good idea. I empathize with space. Irene does a great quick inexpensive tub qt set up video I will try to find it this evening for you. 

• Like 2

I keep all small fish. I have 2 Imagitarium mini holding tanks from Petco, 1 that is one gallon the other is 2 both were far under 10 when you buy online/pick up in store. I've used them both very recently, they really come in handy and are nice little QT tanks. These nest easily too because of their size they're not hard to store. What I personally like is the lid is accomodating to airlines and feeding but it's secure and the plastic is super clear unlike some storage tubs we use for the same purpose.

16337245990377736614730872291574.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/8/2021 at 4:24 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I keep all small fish. I have 2 Imagitarium mini holding tanks from Petco, 1 that is one gallon the other is 2 both were far under 10 when you buy online/pick up in store. I've used them both very recently, they really come in handy and are nice little QT tanks. These nest easily too because of their size they're not hard to store. What I personally like is the lid is accomodating to airlines and feeding but it's secure and the plastic is super clear unlike some storage tubs we use for the same purpose.

16337245990377736614730872291574.jpg

OMG THANK YOU. I have these from live food breeding for my dragon. I hate the tubs I got because I can’t see through clearly to monitor. I never though to use these. 😍😍😍😍😍😍

• Like 2

On 10/8/2021 at 12:12 PM, Nanci B said:

@Guppysnail Thanks, I have seen the video, she does have a seeded sponge filter in her qt tank. 

In a pinch when out of seeded sponges I use a new sponge but squish out all the sponges in other tanks to clean the sponge directly into the new container.  It gets NASTY and that’s great let it settle because the new sponge will suck up the yuck and be seeded with some live bacteria. Plus my sponge filters all get cleaned 🤣

Edited by Guppysnail
Ps don’t use the one from other gr neon tank only tanks you trust
  • Like 1

After losing nine, I actually have one lone survivor. He/she is doing well swimming calmly and has a great appetite. So it’s a huge loss, but I love this one fish and I’m going to get some buddies for him in another 3 weeks. 

Thanks everyone for your support! 

• Like 1