If you could breed only one fish forevermore...

Fish Folk

On 10/7/2021 at 6:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

My longfin lemon blue eyed bristlenose plecos. They are just as much water puppies as my guppies. They are beautiful.  They breed like clockwork every 3+4 weeks. Mine is a fantastic dad. Their mating and courtship is beautiful. I never have algae or have to clean the glass. They eat from food dishes they eat veggies or on a stick. I love them. They are my soul mate fish even more than my guppies 🥰

8C023AB1-FD6F-4A95-A094-EC7C0264EF4B.jpeg

30DCECAD-D415-4E07-AAD1-B5929FFB63A2.jpeg

Love to find some of these for sale around me.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:26 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Since learning that common plecos are a no-no for my small tanks, this is the first time a pleco has grabbed my attention! Those are so *pretty*! 

Are the fry as easy as guppy fry to feed?

How big do the biggest of these get?

Easier. Short tail 4-5 inches longfin 5-6 (tail included). You are welcome to a couple of hundred if you like 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

063D4823-032B-4CCF-A064-651D1361641A.jpeg

A890C2E5-FF97-4C0A-BA41-CFCA47185312.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

On 10/7/2021 at 6:18 PM, Atitagain said:

I think I’ll be cheating a lil bit because I would need to breed mbuna and peacocks then cross them to get my choice of OB Peacock cichlids. The color variations and patterns are amazing and I love the hierarchy of Africans. But what excites me most and why I could do them forever as the only fish I breed is the mouth brooding. That will never get old.

Love Africans!

On 10/7/2021 at 6:21 PM, GameCzar said:

GUPPIES!   

I have a serious addiction to guppies and information pertaining to them.  

My answer could change in the future, but I love my guppies. 

Guppies are so great! I wish they were as good nowadays as they used to be…

On 10/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, Colu said:

It would have to be Green phantom pleco they are just stunning fish

Screenshot_20211007-232822~2.png

So impressive! Handsome fish. I’ve got to get me some now…

• Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 2:56 PM, DannyBWell said:

Mine would be Tetra's. I'm not sure why I like them so much I just do. 

I love their facial expression--it's like halfway between the pugnacious betta expression and the straight face of the molly or platy. And the angles of their dorsal fins are energetic looking and plucky. Super cute!

On 10/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, Zenzo said:

If I could breed one fish forevermore, it would be Indian Mudskippers.

...Sadly, this will probably never happen (unless I made like a huge 8'x8' tidal estuary setup with brackish water and deep mud - Even then, no guarantee). 

Do it! Do it! You will never be satisfied with not knowing!

• Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 6:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

My longfin lemon blue eyed bristlenose plecos. They are just as much water puppies as my guppies. They are beautiful.  ... They are my soul mate fish even more than my guppies 🥰

Awww, this is so sweet. They certainly look happily prolific in your tank!

• Like 2

I'm torn between Endlers and guppies. Endlers are favorites because they pack so much color and zippy fun into a small package and they are healthy as horses. Guppies, though, you can monkey around with different color and fin combos and try to modify strains without feeling like you're destroying a historic genetic database.

Agonizing decision.

I'll go with guppies. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

On 10/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, PineSong said:

I'm torn between Endlers and guppies. Endlers are favorites because they pack so much color and zippy fun into a small package and they are healthy as horses. Guppies, though, you can monkey around with different color and fin combos and try to modify strains without feeling like you're destroying a historic genetic database.

Agonizing decision.

I'll go with guppies. 

Excellent choice. I think this post might “sell” some guppies someplace…

On 10/7/2021 at 5:15 PM, Guppysnail said:

My longfin lemon blue eyed bristlenose plecos. They are just as much water puppies as my guppies. They are beautiful.  They breed like clockwork every 3+4 weeks. Mine is a fantastic dad. Their mating and courtship is beautiful. I never have algae or have to clean the glass. They eat from food dishes they eat veggies or on a stick. I love them. They are my soul mate fish even more than my guppies 🥰

8C023AB1-FD6F-4A95-A094-EC7C0264EF4B.jpeg

30DCECAD-D415-4E07-AAD1-B5929FFB63A2.jpeg

Just the way you described them makes me ❤️ them and want to breed them 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:38 AM, Odd Duck said:

Can I go with a group?  Cories are just so crazy cute!  Easy to breed, just feed them and do cool water changes.  I’m not sure I could pick a single cory species, though.

Well… I think that’s going to call for a “Favorite Fish Genus” to breed inquest! 

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

If I had the space and the water volume, I would choose the comet goldfish. It's a super hardy fish developed in the USA. It's a shame no one is putting time into working with them.

1085264929_Screenshot_20211008-134449_SamsungInternet.jpg.b9544a40a0b99d6686cdf58e103efb6d.jpg

i would breed for a stronger, longer, wider comet. With a longer shape body and bigger tail muscles.

Goldfish.jpg.4613955d2790e7dc8bf27d3a267722ed.jpg

Such a beautiful fish. 

I really hate my lemon blue eye pleco; everytime i turn around there are new critters running around but that isn't what you asked. I'm fascinated by some of the apistogramma out there but that is a genus much like tetra; and you asked for a species. Nijjensi are nice but they don't have the strongest personality; borelli are like toy poodles barking all the time but running away if someone actually noticed; hongsloi are pretty magestic in their own right; then there are some that i'm still waiting to try like laenta and elizabeth. It'll be years before i have a chance to experience more than a few dozens and there are over 100. One which I have crossed off my list is cockatoo - kind of boring. As for rams - i like rams but they are a bit like nijjensi but less hearty and less aggressive but still a pretty but somewhat hollow face.

On 10/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

If I had the space and the water volume, I would choose the comet goldfish. It's a super hardy fish developed in the USA. It's a shame no one is putting time into working with them.

1085264929_Screenshot_20211008-134449_SamsungInternet.jpg.b9544a40a0b99d6686cdf58e103efb6d.jpg

i would breed for a stronger, longer, wider comet. With a longer shape body and bigger tail muscles.

Goldfish.jpg.4613955d2790e7dc8bf27d3a267722ed.jpg

I do love a nice comet, especially when calico colored. 

Disclaimer: haven't actually even kept these yet let alone bred them but if I have to pick one I think I would go with Medaka rice fish - lots of gorgeous colour varieties, can be kept outdoors all year long in my climate, apparently easy to breed and hardy, very popular in some countries but not all that common here in the UK yet (compared with goldfish and koi anyway) but I think they could really take off as a smaller alternative to goldfish for small outdoor ponds as well as indoor aquariums. Also I've seen people selling their eggs online, not sure how they ship but maybe a good alternative to shipping live fish

• Thanks 1