If you could breed only one fish forevermore...

Fish Folk

CARE Forum Fish Breeders: If there was _just one species of fish_ you could breed in large quantity and for profit, devoting your entire fishroom to it alone forevermore, what species would you choose today, and why?

I'll add my thoughts after enough of y'all NERMS step up and take a swing. 

Mine would be Tetra's. I'm not sure why I like them so much I just do. Every type of Tetra I've seen so far is so facinating to me I love how they swim and school together. If I had to pick a specific Tetra look no further than my profile picture, the Von Rio Tetra or as I call them the pink lemonade Tetra. They have amazing coloration and are so peaceful in my community tank I would love to breed them one day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 2:56 PM, DannyBWell said:

Mine would be Tetra's. I'm not sure why I like them so much I just do. Every type of Tetra I've seen so far is so facinating to me I love how they swim and school together. If I had to pick a specific Tetra look no further than my profile picture, the Von Rio Tetra or as I call them the pink lemonade Tetra. They have amazing coloration and are so peaceful in my community tank I would love to breed them one day. 

Amazing answer! I love that. I’ve never kept that species before. I really hope you will consider trying to breed them someday. It might take a lot of interesting water parameters, but nothing is impossible. Nothing. 

• Like 1

Mine would be German blue rams. They are a beautiful dwarf cichlid and have a decent amount of personality. They aren't as hard as to breed as people say they are. You just have to put alot more effort into it and that's what I like about them.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2021 at 3:35 PM, Ram man said:

Mine would be German blue rams. They are a beautiful dwarf cichlid and have a decent amount of personality. They aren't as hard as to breed as people say they are. You just have to put alot more effort into it and that's what I like about them.

I agree with you 100%. Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi are so satisfying to breed and raise up. Every color morph is equally fascinating to work with. 

On 10/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, Fish Folk said:

I agree with you 100%. Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi are so satisfying to breed and raise up. Every color morph is equally fascinating to work with. 

Could I breed multiple or just one color morph though?

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 4:27 PM, Ram man said:

Could I breed multiple or just one color morph though?

Here’s a project my son did breeding Rams a few years ago. Started with E-blue male + Golden female. By 3rd generation, there were some interesting colors going on.

8FAA8FCD-8A9D-442F-A614-5B1D3E55001C.png.8e51a0ab33966bef1ec0c26b6e5a0c3b.png

• Like 4

On 10/7/2021 at 4:13 PM, Fish Folk said:

Here’s a project my son did breeding Rams a few years ago. Started with E-blue male + Golden female. By 3rd generation, there were some interesting colors going on.

8FAA8FCD-8A9D-442F-A614-5B1D3E55001C.png.8e51a0ab33966bef1ec0c26b6e5a0c3b.png

That's really cool. I did that with long fin gbrs and normal gold rams. By the 3rd generation the females were bigger than the males but I shut that down because I started noticing a bunch of health problems.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 5:16 PM, Ram man said:

I shut that down because I started noticing a bunch of health problems.

Yes, we found the same. You have to do 2x lines and cross them out to avoid genetic issues. Long finned and balloon Rams might have some extra challenges in that regard too.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 10/7/2021 at 5:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m not much of a breeder, but I’ve enjoyed breeding cichlids in the past. Their behavior is fascinating but I’d also want a species that thrives alongside plants so I’d choose a dwarf Cichlid of some type. 

Keep going! You must CHOOSE one…

On 10/7/2021 at 2:36 PM, Fish Folk said:

Keep going! You must CHOOSE one…

🤯 oh shoot, I’m so indecisive! Ok I guess it’s Apistogramma Agassizii.

But in this hypothetical dystopia I think there should be an underground speakeasy where renegade livebearer breeders plot their revolution. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 10/7/2021 at 5:47 PM, Patrick_G said:

🤯 oh shoot, I’m so indecisive! Ok I guess it’s Apistogramma Agassizii.

But in this hypothetical dystopia I think there should be an underground speakeasy where renegade livebearer breeders plot their revolution. 

Amazing! 

• Like 1

• Administrators

If I could breed one fish forevermore, it would be Indian Mudskippers.

1. It has not been done in captivity as far as for the aquarium trade (and maybe never - conflicting stories).

2. They would be extremely profitable.

3. Because they are much smaller than the African variants, many people could keep them (even with fish like guppies, mollies, bumble gobies, etc.).

4. They would be adorable to watch grow out.

5. They are easy to feed.

Sadly, this will probably never happen (unless I made like a huge 8'x8' tidal estuary setup with brackish water and deep mud - Even then, no guarantee). 

On 10/7/2021 at 6:08 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Endlers - whether for pleasure or profit. Hardy, color variety, breed easily. Good for me. Good for beginners. Good for feeding big carnivores, if needed.

(But for what it's worth, I'm totally into fish for pleasure. I've never thought about selling.)

Nice! I’d definitely get into Endlers if I could get a solid line.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:12 PM, amr427 said:

Never bred anything yet...fun to see what folks would pick before I decide what I would want to try my hand at.

You’re going to love it! Breeding fish is its own delight in this hobby. 

On 10/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, Zenzo said:

If I could breed one fish forevermore, it would be Indian Mudskippers.

1. It has not been done in captivity as far as for the aquarium trade (and maybe never - conflicting stories).

2. They would be extremely profitable.

3. Because they are much smaller than the African variants, many people could keep them (even with fish like guppies, mollies, bumble gobies, etc.).

4. They would be adorable to watch grow out.

5. They are easy to feed.

Sadly, this will probably never happen (unless I made like a huge 8'x8' tidal estuary setup with brackish water and deep mud - Even then, no guarantee). 

Thanks for jumping in! That’s an amazing dream breeding goal. I love this!! 

• Like 1

My longfin lemon blue eyed bristlenose plecos. They are just as much water puppies as my guppies. They are beautiful.  They breed like clockwork every 3+4 weeks. Mine is a fantastic dad. Their mating and courtship is beautiful. I never have algae or have to clean the glass. They eat from food dishes they eat veggies or on a stick. I love them. They are my soul mate fish even more than my guppies 🥰

8C023AB1-FD6F-4A95-A094-EC7C0264EF4B.jpeg

30DCECAD-D415-4E07-AAD1-B5929FFB63A2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 6

I think I’ll be cheating a lil bit because I would need to breed mbuna and peacocks then cross them to get my choice of OB Peacock cichlids. The color variations and patterns are amazing and I love the hierarchy of Africans. But what excites me most and why I could do them forever as the only fish I breed is the mouth brooding. That will never get old.

• Like 5

On 10/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, Fish Folk said:

Yes, we found the same. You have to do 2x lines and cross them out to avoid genetic issues. Long finned and balloon Rams might have some extra challenges in that regard too.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to do that next time 

• Like 1