Nitrite in tap water, killing fish?

Mark Sperry

Hello everyone.  I have an issue that I think has been potentially killing fish after water changes.

I have a 75 gallon, well-established planted tank with rainbow fish, clown loaches, and assortment of tetras.  It Is generally fairly stable. However, over the years I have noticed that occasionally after water changes I would lose a fish or two. I thought it might be temperature fluctuation or just maybe stress related to being overdue for a water change.

Today, I used a python water change system today for the first time. I have checked my source tap water previously and never really noticed an elevated nitrite level ..But I have not checked in a while.

Today, I performed a 33% water change with the python and did everything appropriately regarding adding prime (10 cc for for my 75 gallon tank) and also i kept temperature stable.  I happened to check my source tapwater and noticed that it had nitrite and nitrate as per the photo. 50 ppm nitrate and 1 ppm nitrite.. 0 ammonia.  The tank itself is showing essentially zero nitrite and 40 ppm nitrate (otherwise stable pH etc).  

About 30 minutes after the water change, a silver tip tetra showed signs of stress. He has swimming in the corner of the top of the tank.  I added 5 cc of additional Prime but my bigger question is what to do from here about my tap water.   I don’t want to do RO etc.   any thoughts on options for that level of nitrite in tap water?  I think it is killing my fish with water changes.   Thanks so much.

Edited by Mark Sperry

I agree with @Scapexghost you could do smaller water changes and I would use a double dose of prime after every water change you could prepare your water in a  tote or large bin before a water change and put a small heater to get the temperature the same as your tank and run a small  filter with seachems purigen in it to absorb any nitirte and nirates a couple of days before you do your water change

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2