Necessary to quarantine Amano Shrimps?

NineBees

Complete beginner here. I set up a 20 gallon planted tank and the resident Betta fish is coming in the next 2 days. In the meantime, I am thinking about getting a few amano shrimps to combat the algea. I only have 1 tank, 1 filter and heater. Is it necessary to quarantine the shrimps? Can betta fish get shrimp disease?

Invert diseases do not affect fish and visa versa. However I recommend qt shrimp to be sure they have no shrimp specific illness and make sure if they do not adjust well you do not have a hidden decomposing shrimp. I am not sure what parasites and bacteria can be transferred just based on anything in the water that is on their shell though. 

You want to have a fairly established (at least cycled) tank for shrimp, and if you have algae it sounds like you probably do.  If you were planning to put shrimp into a tank with a bunch of fish, I'd maybe suggest qt, but personally I probably wouldn't worry about it in this situation.  If you add more shrimp later, then you'd want to qt so that they don't pass anything onto  your established colony, but for now with just a betta, I'd personally just add the shrimp.  The risk is extremely low in my opinion.

On 10/6/2021 at 4:27 PM, KaitieG said:

You want to have a fairly established (at least cycled) tank for shrimp, and if you have algae it sounds like you probably do.  If you were planning to put shrimp into a tank with a bunch of fish, I'd maybe suggest qt, but personally I probably wouldn't worry about it in this situation.  If you add more shrimp later, then you'd want to qt so that they don't pass anything onto  your established colony, but for now with just a betta, I'd personally just add the shrimp.  The risk is extremely low in my opinion.

That's what I did when I added my Amanos to my betta tank. I drip acclimated them slower than I usually do since extreme changes in water parameters can sometimes not go too well for shrimp, but I didn't sweat not quarantining them for the exact reason @Guppysnailalready mentioned. I had no issues. If I do ever expand my colony, I would quarantine the new guys as @KaitieG suggests for sure.