The Big Yellow Water Balloon

Reactor Axe Man

• 5 months later...

A strange thing happened over the weekend.  Murphy has this 'tetra cult' that hangs around him while the others are schooling elsewhere doing tetra things.  It's about a dozen of the little critters, and they never get super close to their Strange Yellow God.  Only this time, one of them went a little cray-cray, and started buzzing Murphy as he loafed in his usual nesting place.  Next thing I know, ol' Murph is up and puffed out.  I don't know if the two are related.  

Second pic shows that once again, his tank lights are FUBAR, and one of them isn't shifting to night time illumination.

Murphy_Balloon_2.png

murphy189.png

murphy191.png

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Today I happened to catch Murphy doing a "practice puff" during daylight conditions. (I have a screengrab, but for reasons am having trouble posting it.)  This makes me wonder how often Mbu puffers puff up as a matter of personal hygiene, as this would be the 3rd time I've seen him do it in less than a year.  This time around he was very quick about it, going from Fishloaf to Water Balloon and back in about fifteen seconds, max.  It was quite actually a "blink and you missed it" moment, which feeds my curiosity as to how often it happens but gets missed.  Murphy did not seem in any way panicked today when he puffed, and as soon as he'd inflated, he deflated. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I caught Murphy puffing up again last week, and looking back at it, I am starting to wonder about this behavior.  I've seen him puffed up four times now in the last 13 months, and every single time it was in the morning, 3 of the 4 events happened before his day time tank lights come on and the 4th shortly after.  The two times I have seen him puff and deflate from start to finish, he's been fishloafing at the beginning.  I wonder if the puffing not only serves the purposes of exercising his body for an emergency, but might also serve the purpose of "moving things aft" in his digestive tract, as I have also observed him doing some pretty vigorous swimming in what seems like an effort to successfully, er, poop...