Trying out Java fern and hornworth

Hey everyone I have Java fern that's turning brown and some yellow and some brown algae specially in its roots I have it on rocks with super glue and some just flooding and they are all having the same affect and my hornworth is loosing most of its spikes or what ever they are call only one little are its green and full I put eazy green fertilizer my water is PH 7.6  High PH 7.4  0.ppm ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite,  25ppm Nitrate 

Temperature 79.7 

I read at the CO OP to make sure not to suffocate under gravel or super glue but I have flooding and some on rock with glue so I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. that's why I was not to sure about having live plants lol.

16334613844471929507967486313575.jpg

16334614007693275977368307902460.jpg

16334615216287519290639675391142.jpg

Hornwort is an extremely fast growing plant and it will also die extremely fast, it will suck up alot of fertilizer. The java Fern doesn't look horrible but it looks like you have some babies growing at the ends they could be stealing nutrients from the "parent". How often are you dosing the fertilizer? 

• Thanks 1

The Java Fern looks ok, but I have a feeling it started out a little sparse so losing a few leaves might take longer to recover from, give it time and it’ll probably start growing new leaves. Be patient, it’s a slow grower. Pinching off the baby plants might help and you can grow them out separately. 

• Like 1

Honestly, your hornwort looks totally fine to me! Much of my hornwort looks like that, with the older needles collecting some mulm and the newer ones looking the greenest. It’s normal for hornwort to lose its needles in new water, then grow new ones. In fact, I can see some new bunches of needles growing on the bare stem already. If the mulm that’s stuck to the older needles bothers you, just take it out and gently swish it in the old tank water next time you do a water change.

Welcome to the plant world! 😊

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 4:42 AM, Hobbit said:

Honestly, your hornwort looks totally fine to me! Much of my hornwort looks like that, with the older needles collecting some mulm and the newer ones looking the greenest. It’s normal for hornwort to lose its needles in new water, then grow new ones. In fact, I can see some new bunches of needles growing on the bare stem already. If the mulm that’s stuck to the older needles bothers you, just take it out and gently swish it in the old tank water next time you do a water change.

Welcome to the plant world! 😊

Oh ok thanks, good to know 

• Like 1