My Fluval Flex 15G Journal

amr427

Never done a journal on anything before but I thought it might be fun to post my pics and videos of the redo of my Fluval Flex 15gal tank.

Filter: Fluval sponge block with biomax cubes and carbon, usb nano pump and ziss air stone

Light: Standard Fluval Flex LED light 

Substrate: Eco-complete

Plants: Water sprite, crypto lucens, crypto wendtii, crypto parva, pogostemon stellatus octopus, red dwarf aquarium lily, banana plant and a drift wood bonsai with java moss. Also been rooting some Song of India cuttings in the cut out feeding hole.

Fertilizer: Co-op root tabs and easy green

Chemicals: Fritz Complete Water Conditioner and Fluval Cycle

Pics from initial planting week of Sept 19 2021.

PXL_20210919_175028758.jpg

IMG_20210919_150226_01.jpg

Growth after a week

PXL_20210928_152553736.jpg

• Like 4

10/5/21: Purchased three amano shrimp to help pick through the substrate/plants for missed food. Tetras were interested at first, trying to nip the shrimp.

10/6/21: Not sure where the shrimp went, my guess is hiding in the bonsai moss tree. Every so often I might see one. Today I also took apart the pump in the tank because it was making a noise. While it was apart I rinsed off the tiny sponge that sits inside the pump. Hind sight not a great idea because I was already dealing with the pump being too powerful for the tank, cleaning it only made it worse. I feel bad for the little tetras. Going to a pet store tonight to see if I can modify the spray bar to reduce the flow. If that doesn't work I have a new adjustable pump coming Thursday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 8:26 PM, Wonder Boy said:

I assume the air stone is in the back.  Which side do you have it on? Pump or intake? 

The air stone is in the front part, not behind the black wall divider in the tank. It's on the side of the pump.

• Like 1

I’ve had a flex 15 for almost 2 years. Great little tank. I think you’ve done the right thing with the sponge on the outtake. There are several mods you can do with it so it’s more flexible then people realize. Mine cracked after moving it recently but luckily it was high enough to still be able to use it. 
Im imagining the pristella tetras really shine with that light. What’s your stocking plan from here? 
Best of luck and have fun!

On 10/20/2021 at 11:43 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’ve had a flex 15 for almost 2 years. Great little tank. I think you’ve done the right thing with the sponge on the outtake. There are several mods you can do with it so it’s more flexible then people realize. Mine cracked after moving it recently but luckily it was high enough to still be able to use it. 
Im imagining the pristella tetras really shine with that light. What’s your stocking plan from here? 
Best of luck and have fun!

I do like the pristellas for sure, had six one has gone missing but that's the subject of another post lol.

I plan to get some corydoras and then something slightly larger than the tetras to be my center piece, like a dwarf or honey gourami.