What to feed shrimp

FrozenFins

I have some shrimp king complete coming for my new pumpkin shrimp, this will hopefully be arriving on Monday. But until then what should I feed my shrimp? I tried a cucmber but they didn't seem to touch it. I am wondering if I should hold off on the feeding until their more comfortable in their setup. Anyways what other stuff can I feed my shrimp. The seller said they really like raw noodles...? 

In typical circumstances I let them settle in for 48-72 hours - depending on how old the tank is  and how much biofilm has been built up. They will eat fish food, veggies - typically take the skin off and blanch them for a few minutes in boiling water. Repashy is a favorite as well as the glassgarten type shrimp lollies. Enjoy your shrimps! Love the pumpkin color! 

• Like 1

Depending how long the tank has been going/# of plants, and how long you've had the shrimp, they may just graze on the biofilm build up and not be too interested in additional food at first. I've heard green beans are usually a hit but I haven't tried them yet.

Idk how much nutritional value raw noodle would have but if the breeder has a specific suggestion I suppose you could try it. I'd just try to stick to an organic pasta with no preservatives or weird stuff

• Like 1

My shrimp are all in community tanks (and Neocaridina, I don't know what a pumpkin shrimp is) so take that into account. I'll throw in some Extreme shrimp pellets on occasion but their favorite treat seems to be the cheapest french cut green beans I can find. Otherwise I just let the tank stay a little dirty and overfeed the fish.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:02 PM, Ken said:

My shrimp are all in community tanks (and Neocaridina, I don't know what a pumpkin shrimp is) so take that into account. I'll throw in some Extreme shrimp pellets on occasion but their favorite treat seems to be the cheapest french cut green beans I can find. Otherwise I just let the tank stay a little dirty and overfeed the fish.

Yeah, orange pumpkin shrimp are neocaridna. I beleive they are often refered to as Orange Sakura Shrimp.

I have not fed my neo shrimp in any tank in over a year. I call them tiny terrorists because they eat everyone else’s food including loving repashy. They even hitchhike on my plecos. I find mine don’t take to veggies until they are in the tank for awhile and mushy which is just about the time I’m ready to take them out. When I started my colony I used glas garden products. Shrimp fit and bacterAE do miserable things to tanks. The shrimp dinner they did ok. The shrimp minerals they would not touch. Shrimp baby is good. It’s called snowflake  several companies make it. It’s made from soy beans and dissolves apart and looks like snow in the tank. The soy does not deteriorate as fast so grows biofilm. They liked that.I tried other shrimp stuff. Their favorite is repashy of any flavor. They will eat but don’t love most wafers. Flake Fish food of any type they devour. Mine like cleaning wondershells or zoomed turtle calcium blocks. I have seen several videos of oats (Quaker steel cut or old fashioned not instant) that shrimp were devouring but I have never tried it. 

My shrimp tanks get whatever fish food I am feeding my fish that day. I do have some shrimp lollies that I picked up at a swap meet that I put in once a week or so. My shrimp tanks only get fed a few times a week though, about every two or three days. I also keep some kind of leaf in the tanks, such as Indian almond, guava, mulberry etc. 

I somewhat morbidly learned that they enjoy shrimp (presumably dead). I thought I had seen breeding behavior in the back of my shrimp tank last night only to realize that cannibalism was actually happening as my OG snowball shrimp ate my last goldback 😞  could actually see the gold color in it's digestive tract for a while afterwards. This morning he was front and center on a piece of spiderwood just looking at me with a "sorry, not sorry" expression. I found a nice home breeder that is shipping me some that have been raised in my almost exact water parameters, so hopeful for a skittle-like display in my kitchen soon.

• Sad 2