58 minutes ago, Fonske said:

Went to a pet market today and spent some time admiring these guys. They don't look big in the picture, but each one is about 2ft long. A bit scary when they open their mouths to beg for food...

1777489787_bigkoi_01.jpg.d58ab166eb72eefb9adb0de4cf2a96a8.jpg

@Fonske do I remember correctly you live in China? Your 'pet market' is different than our 'Petsmart'.

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

do I remember correctly you live in China? Your 'pet market' is different than our 'Petsmart'.

Yes, I am in Beijing. The pet market closest to me is a tiny underground version of the giant one Cory filmed in the "China Aquarium Fish Market CRAZY" video. I hope to visit the giant one some day :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can barely make out @Maggie's fox above, but this 6 foot tall bird was a little easier to see. It was definitely a 'life bird' for me. Listen to the dialog at the beginning, my youngest son asks 'what do you think they eat?' Without hesitation I answer 'children'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

@Daniel was that emu in your yard? If so, I'm guessing it got loose from someone or a zoo?

Yes! Emus are really creative and they are hard to keep them fenced in. This one escaped from an emu farm about six miles up the road and passed through my yard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My most exotic honey bees are pure bred Caucasians I got from Dr. Walter Sheppard at Washington State University. I also keep Carniolians and Italians and mutts. I do a bit of breeding and I am working on developing a line adapted to local conditions here in central North Carolina.

Honey bees are just like tropical fish with internet advice not always being reliable. The internet will tell you that you cannot have 2 queens in one hive. Here is a photo from my observation hive last year.

image.png.45ca56b67d72c5ffb617a6b6f872e115.png

They are mother and daughter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1