Rugs in front of racks?

JoshStover

On 10/4/2021 at 7:27 AM, JoshStover said:

One in the corner of the kitchen, 2 in the living room, smaller one in our bedroom, biggest one in my sons room and another small one in my daughters room. All are on hardwood except the one in our room which is carpet for now

EEEEEESH.....ok spread all over the house....that will make it a bit more difficult.  I would go to HD and go to their outdoor section and you will see outdoor door mats in diff sizes.  They are made to get water on them ....for the wood you want ones that dont let the water touch the wood so rubber....almost like a Weathertec you use in your car.  

• Thanks 1

Just remember water getting under a waterproof mat could do more damage than the water landing straight on the floor  (especially on the wooden floors) as the water wont evaporate and you might not spot it to dry it.

I put bath mats down when I'm working on my tank and as it will soak up everything and will wash and dry quickly.  

• Like 5

On 10/4/2021 at 10:42 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Just remember water getting under a waterproof mat could do more damage than the water landing straight on the floor  (especially on the wooden floors) as the water wont evaporate and you might not spot it to dry it.

I put bath mats down when I'm working on my tank and as it will soak up everything and will wash and dry quickly.  

Thats a very good point.  I have ceramic tile so never a need for that worry and my fish room is solid concrete floor.  

• Like 1

Is the water just getting there when you do water changes in the tanks? I use an elderly towel that got retired as a sort of "mat" when I do my water changes. When I'm done, I fold it up and put it back in my tool bucket. It occasionally needs washed, but it's done the job pretty well for me.

If you've got water problems other than that, I'd recommend a rug with a rubber backing and a thick pile, it should catch most of the water and prevent it from getting stuck underneath. Then evaporation should do the trick.

• Like 1

Ruggable makes indoor and outdoor rugs in various sizes and patterns, they have a pad under the rug and the rugs are machine washable, they are pretty thin, not the pad is not waterproof, but the covers are water-resistent so water doesn't absorb too fast, so it doesn't seep through the pad onto your floors...I have them covering my wood floors with messy kids and dogs and haven't had any issues...they also clean nicely

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 7:42 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I agree, I have a silicone mat under the dog’s water bowl, it traps water underneath. Not good for the maple flooring! 
Elsewhere in the kitchen I just have regular low pile synthetic rugs from Wayfair or Amazon. There’re more or less low pile bath mats but marketed for use wherever. 

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1

I asked a local yoga teacher for yoga mats that were being retired. 

I put them directly under rimless tanks, and have one on the floor under the tank stand in my spouse's room. 

They have a decent grip, so I don't have to worry about slippage, either. 

• Like 1