Are 3D printers useful in this hobby?

DannyBWell

I have always wanted a 3D printer and have wondered what applications they've had in this hobby I'd love to see or hear people's projects they've done. I can't help but think of all the modifications you could do to filters, lights, and other projects to make your life easier. 

A 3d printed ziss brine shrimp stand would be handy because that stand it comes with is not too optimized.

Besides previous thoughts in this thread I could also see one offs hangers for nets, snail traps, or a chute for an auto  feeder to keep all the food going into the tank though the precut heater hole in acrylic tanks or any smaller circular cut out on other topers. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/3/2021 at 11:08 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

A 3d printed ziss brine shrimp stand would be handy because that stand it comes with is not too optimized.

Besides previous thoughts in this thread I could also see one offs hangers for nets, snail traps, or a chute for an auto  feeder to keep all the food going into the tank though the precut heater hole in acrylic tanks or any smaller circular cut out on other topers. 

I like the auto feeder idea 

• Like 1

3D printing is a fun hobby that can be as much or more time consuming than fish keeping. Entry is still a bit expensive and there's a pretty big learning curve. It's not quire plug and play yet. 

Look at commonly available printers with big communities. The communities experience can make starting a lot easier just like the Co-op community with fish keeping.

Check out Thingiverse.com some other sites and see what's out there for models to print. 

If you want to make your own models to print, Autodesk Fusion 360 has a free license for hobbyists. There are more than likely some good tutorials on youtube.

It's not going to save any money on stuff that is commercially available, but it can be fun and is a way to try out new things.

Fish keeping has taken over my hobby time and budget, so my printers have been sitting idle for a few years. I have been considering donating them to one of the local schools.

• Like 1

I've made custom lights, and brackets for glass lids and parts for my floating plant fence on my printer. I also made some mods for my hob that I took off after figuring out a more elegant solution.

If you're so inclined, you'll find tons of practical uses around the house too.  But it's also not magic technology so there's a lot of fiddling too.

They can be fun, but they are time consuming in terms of learning curve and wait times. Like @David W suggests, see if there is a makers club near you and start there. I have worked with 3D modelers for over 35 years and still find I do not have the patience for them. I prefer my Dremel!

Edited by eatyourpeas

3d printing can be a hobby all it's own but for my use I see it as a companion hobby to my other hobbies and good for life in general if you like to tinker. If you're new to 3d modeling tinker cad is free and pretty easy to use and surprisingly powerful. I've printed airstones, gratings, spacers, decoration, pots, scoops, light housings, clips, and the list goes on.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 1:34 PM, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

3d printing can be a hobby all it's own but for my use I see it as a companion hobby to my other hobbies and good for life in general if you like to tinker. If you're new to 3d modeling tinker cad is free and pretty easy to use and surprisingly powerful. I've printed airstones, gratings, spacers, decoration, pots, scoops, light housings, clips, and the list goes on.

And a really cool taco trophy 😁. But yeah I've definetly thought to myself man this project would be perfect if I could print my own part for it I need something that no one else offers.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 6:06 PM, Streetwise said:

@TheDukeAnumber1, what was it like to print air-stones?

I've only printed my own design and TBH they were very easy prints, quick prints with no issues and they have been running maintenance free in my tanks for years at this point. Mine make medium/large bubbles, I know other designs get creative for fine bubbles but I haven't messed with those yet.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 5:14 PM, David W said:

3D printing is a fun hobby that can be as much or more time consuming than fish keeping. Entry is still a bit expensive and there's a pretty big learning curve. It's not quire plug and play yet. 

Look at commonly available printers with big communities. The communities experience can make starting a lot easier just like the Co-op community with fish keeping.

Check out Thingiverse.com some other sites and see what's out there for models to print. 

If you want to make your own models to print, Autodesk Fusion 360 has a free license for hobbyists. There are more than likely some good tutorials on youtube.

It's not going to save any money on stuff that is commercially available, but it can be fun and is a way to try out new things.

Fish keeping has taken over my hobby time and budget, so my printers have been sitting idle for a few years. I have been considering donating them to one of the local schools.

A alternative to donating to a school would be to see if you had any local clubs we have a "hack space" here which would consider such a donation as covering your membership so then should the need arise you still have access to the item ( well when they are open). 

I am now considering making a petra style cave scape for the back of my tank or maybe something a little less ornate 🤔

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 10:26 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

feeder hole lid and spray bar all for my Fluval Flex.

Great idea - someone local was selling a new Flex for a great price, but I passed it by because of the feeder hole and needing something quickly that was secure. I'll know to look for people doing things like that now 🙂

• Like 1